• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two pending cases at once after never being arrested before

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minman

I live in Colorado. I'm just needing a little bit of help, because I can't afford an attorney, and can't provide enough information for a public defender. I have one case stemming from a third degree assault and domestic violence charge (both misdeamenors). I have a different case from a suicide attempt of mine that led to a third degree assault on a paramedic.

I'm a good guy, and am undeserving to be going through all of this. I'm gonna begin to explain what happened with the case involving third degree assault and domestic violence. This happened in March, 07. At 2 o'clock in the morning, I had a very drunk neighbor begin to knock, pound, and kick my door. She was also screaming at the top of her lungs. I had been drinking earlier, but by that time, I was already in bed. I reluctantly opened the door, because I didn't want to see her. However, I didn't want the cops to come from a noise violation from the noise she was causing. She looked extremely plastered, had markings on her face (probably from a fall from drinking), and was barely able to stand.

She wanted me to come up to her apt (which was right above me), and talk to her. I went, but told her that I couldn't be there for long, because I had to get back to bed. She began talking, and I immediately wanted to leave, because she was at that drunk rambling state. I took a step back, because I really wanted to leave. She grabs me on my left wrist, because she wanted me to stay. I used my right hand to push her hands off mine, so that I could leave. She fell, although I used minimal force. I opened the door to leave, and the cops were outside, because a noise violation was called on her. She claimed that I punched her on the face, then shoved her down (none of which was close). I admitted to hitting her to a different cop. Since I had been drinking earlier, I didn't realize how consequential my words were. I failed to mention that it was out of self-defense. I spent the weekend in jail for a false accusation, while she got away with her noise violation.

My accuser has failed to help the District Attorney further on with the case, by not showing up nor calling the DA back. She hasn't been involved at all since the night of my arrest, but I have been to all of my hearings. However, the case in continuing to get close to trial, because of the charges, and what I said to the cops during that night.

If anyone can give me some advice on what to say or do, let me know. This situation has caused me to become very depressed. It has also caused me to not be able to move back home to alabama. This is a case between a good guy in myself and a woman that has some very serious issues. Thanks a lot. I'll post my other case in a different thread.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are in a tough spot. However, in our society, it's not ok to assault someone when you're sad.

smutlydog

I live in Colorado. I'm just needing a little bit of help, because I can't afford an attorney, and can't provide enough information for a public defender. I have one case stemming from a third degree assault and domestic violence charge (both misdeamenors). I have a different case from a suicide attempt of mine that led to a third degree assault on a paramedic.

I'm a good guy, and am undeserving to be going through all of this. I'm gonna begin to explain what happened with the case involving third degree assault and domestic violence. This happened in March, 07. At 2 o'clock in the morning, I had a very drunk neighbor begin to knock, pound, and kick my door. She was also screaming at the top of her lungs. I had been drinking earlier, but by that time, I was already in bed. I reluctantly opened the door, because I didn't want to see her. However, I didn't want the cops to come from a noise violation from the noise she was causing. She looked extremely plastered, had markings on her face (probably from a fall from drinking), and was barely able to stand.

She wanted me to come up to her apt (which was right above me), and talk to her. I went, but told her that I couldn't be there for long, because I had to get back to bed. She began talking, and I immediately wanted to leave, because she was at that drunk rambling state. I took a step back, because I really wanted to leave. She grabs me on my left wrist, because she wanted me to stay. I used my right hand to push her hands off mine, so that I could leave. She fell, although I used minimal force. I opened the door to leave, and the cops were outside, because a noise violation was called on her. She claimed that I punched her on the face, then shoved her down (none of which was close). I admitted to hitting her to a different cop. Since I had been drinking earlier, I didn't realize how consequential my words were. I failed to mention that it was out of self-defense. I spent the weekend in jail for a false accusation, while she got away with her noise violation.

My accuser has failed to help the District Attorney further on with the case, by not showing up nor calling the DA back. She hasn't been involved at all since the night of my arrest, but I have been to all of my hearings. However, the case in continuing to get close to trial, because of the charges, and what I said to the cops during that night.

If anyone can give me some advice on what to say or do, let me know. This situation has caused me to become very depressed. It has also caused me to not be able to move back home to alabama. This is a case between a good guy in myself and a woman that has some very serious issues. Thanks a lot. I'll post my other case in a different thread.
This situation has caused me to become very depressed.
You should be able to get free help with your depression. Showing documentation of that might help in court but it really depends on the judge. Depression will cause you to magnify and over react to situations or events. It's the perception of the event and not the event itself that causes an over reaction. Yes you are in some trouble but this problem will pass and you will be able to get on with your life. Also choose relationships that nurture the good in you. Depression is much easier to manage that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">