• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Drinking Party Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pratesd13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island

The Story:

I, without my parents consent, threw a party at my house with 10-20 people. I am 17 years old. We played music, and as the night went on, people showed up with alcohol but I did not drink any at all. There was a situation between 2 guys at the party where they got in a fight in the street behind my house. Because of this, one of my nearby neighbors called the cops but by the time they got to the street, no one was left at my house and the 2 guys who were fighting left entirely. I, alone in my backyard, decided to go to the cops who were talking to my neighbor in the backstreet to see if I could clear any questions they had. I told them my end of the story, but then they obliged me to take them to my backyard and then ultimately they entered my house. Upon entering my backyard, they found cans of beer and bottles of liquor and one of the officers took pictures with his phone and proceeded to call my mom. I was wondering what could happen to me. They left my house without giving me a ticket, I did not get arrested and they didn't mention that I was charged with anything.

I was wondering how I should handle this situation. Like I said, the house was completely empty and they have no proof that I had underage people in my house. I was completely sober, didn't take one sip of anything. I have a 100% clean record, I have never smoked/drank before in my life. I am a 4.0 student, things just got out of hand at my house and I couldn't muster up the strength to get things under control.

-Thanks for any and all replies

(P.S- a friend was in the same situation a couple months ago, officers came to his house during a party and found underage drinkers and alcohol, he ended up only getting 30 hours of community service and nothing else. Is this what I should expect?)

cyjeff

What is your legal question?

We cannot predict the future... especially when you didn't even know what you are charged with.

Pratesd13

I guess I should have worded the end better.

What could they charge me with, and how severe could it be? An MIP? Will it stay on my permanent record as I am only 17?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Like I said, the house was completely empty and they have no proof that I had underage people in my house...
Except for you - and that's enough.

So you lied to the police and said no one was there except you? Is that your "side of the story"?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">