• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage drinking in TN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamesl8

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I went to visit a buddy in TN, went to hang out at a party that was busted by cops. We both ended up with drinking under 21 citations, along with a whole lot of people. I have this court date in TN now. I can't really go back there at that time so I was wondering what my options might be. Are they likely to give me a new date if I ask the court? Could I get an attorney to go for me? And I'm also wondering, what would the process be if I just didn't show? Would there be a warrant over this? Would that just be within TN or could some cop outside TN see that if I got stopped? What would be worst possible scenario of not going? Does TN give you another charge for that?
Also, I acted all innocent to this cop, like it was the first time I talked to a cop in my life. But truth is I do have a MIP case going on back home too - can they find out about each other? Or could I sneak in some diversion thing on both?
Thanks, sorry for so many questions.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

I went to visit a buddy in TN, went to hang out at a party that was busted by cops. We both ended up with drinking under 21 citations, along with a whole lot of people. I have this court date in TN now. I can't really go back there at that time so I was wondering what my options might be. Are they likely to give me a new date if I ask the court? Could I get an attorney to go for me? And I'm also wondering, what would the process be if I just didn't show? Would there be a warrant over this? Would that just be within TN or could some cop outside TN see that if I got stopped? What would be worst possible scenario of not going? Does TN give you another charge for that?
Also, I acted all innocent to this cop, like it was the first time I talked to a cop in my life. But truth is I do have a MIP case going on back home too - can they find out about each other? Or could I sneak in some diversion thing on both?
You are so busted. :cool: You'd best be figuring out how to get back to TN to answer those charges or paying for an attorney to do so. And it will have to be an attorney in TN.

jamesl8

You are so busted. :cool: You'd best be figuring out how to get back to TN to answer those charges or paying for an attorney to do so. And it will have to be an attorney in TN.
Thanks for replying. Yeah, I know i'd have to figure out an attorney IN TN. What do you mean by i'm 'so busted'? You mean about the two courts knowing about both charges?
Do you know what would happen if I just go on with my life? I mean, to be honest, underage drinking seems like a minor thing, but I don't actually know legally...

sandyclaus

Wow, just WOW. Two concurrent MIP cases going on, both in TN and your home state. You can bet that the courts are going to check for priors and will find out about both cases and charge you accordingly.

And what makes you think that you can get out of having to appear in TN when the one case is being heard there? It's not YOUR choice. If you don't appear, they can issue a warrant for your arrest and drag your butt there to answer for your charges.

You need to find an attorney NOW to deal with BOTH of these charges.

jamesl8

Wow, just WOW. Two concurrent MIP cases going on, both in TN and your home state. You can bet that the courts are going to check for priors and will find out about both cases and charge you accordingly.

And what makes you think that you can get out of having to appear in TN when the one case is being heard there? It's not YOUR choice. If you don't appear, they can issue a warrant for your arrest and drag your butt there to answer for your charges.

You need to find an attorney NOW to deal with BOTH of these charges.
This is why I'm asking. The one in my home state is getting along the line and is probably not going to be a big deal. - If it's pretty much close to being settled would they still 'check for priors'?
Would they really extradite over a MIP??

sandyclaus

This is why I'm asking. The one in my home state is getting along the line and is probably not going to be a big deal. - If it's pretty much close to being settled would they still 'check for priors'?
Would they really extradite over a MIP??
They just might. And even if they don't, they could still issue a warrant for you so that the next time you set foot in TN, you could find yourself spending the night in jail while waiting to see the judge to explain why you skipped out on the charge.

You're a fool if you think that you can get away with it. While the case in your home state may not be aware of the new charge in TN, for sure the courts in TN will become aware of the adjudicated charge from your home state and charge you with a second offense. That will look especially bad when you try to evade the charge in TN.

If you're smart, you'll handle your business in both jurisdictions and take your lumps like a man.

jamesl8

They just might. And even if they don't, they could still issue a warrant for you so that the next time you set foot in TN, you could find yourself spending the night in jail while waiting to see the judge to explain why you skipped out on the charge.

You're a fool if you think that you can get away with it. While the case in your home state may not be aware of the new charge in TN, for sure the courts in TN will become aware of the adjudicated charge from your home state and charge you with a second offense. That will look especially bad when you try to evade the charge in TN.

If you're smart, you'll handle your business in both jurisdictions and take your lumps like a man.
I wasn't going to make a real big habit of setting foot in TN anyway. It's not so much that I think I can get away with it, the whole thing's just annoying. That's why I'm first asking, can I change the date or get an attorney to go.

If my first MIP goes through a pre trial diversion and is then dismissed - would TN still be able to find out about that?

sandyclaus

I wasn't going to make a real big habit of setting foot in TN anyway. It's not so much that I think I can get away with it, the whole thing's just annoying. That's why I'm first asking, can I change the date or get an attorney to go.

If my first MIP goes through a pre trial diversion and is then dismissed - would TN still be able to find out about that?
Yup. They can find out about ANY prior charges and the disposition of them. Clearly a diversion isn't going to do you any good. You obviously haven't learned your lesson.

You aren't going to get a lot of support here on how to avoid those charges in TN.

jamesl8

Yup. They can find out about ANY prior charges and the disposition of them. Clearly a diversion isn't going to do you any good. You obviously haven't learned your lesson.

You aren't going to get a lot of support here on how to avoid those charges in TN.
Er...well, I haven't been to diversion yet. Maybe it will be eye opening.

I wasn't looking for "support" on 'avoiding' anything.

dave33

Usually misdemeanors and violations stay in the state. In most cases a state will not pick up somenoe with a warrant outside the state. If you got stopped outside of the state they may see you have a warrant and detain you for a time then release you.
Of course you can call and ask for another court date, who knows if they will grant such a request

This really is no big deal and should be taken care of. Show up, even if it's to just plead guilty. goodluck.

jamesl8

Usually misdemeanors and violations stay in the state. In most cases a state will not pick up somenoe with a warrant outside the state. If you got stopped outside of the state they may see you have a warrant and detain you for a time then release you.
Of course you can call and ask for another court date, who knows if they will grant such a request

This really is no big deal and should be taken care of. Show up, even if it's to just plead guilty. goodluck.
Thanks for responding. Yeah, I wasn't thinking it was very likely to end up with an out of state warrant or extradition over an MIP.
I think I will see if I can get another court date or if an attorney can go in my place. Yeah, I would rather get it taken care of, and I wouldn't have a problem if the court was just down the road!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Out of state warrant? It's a warrant, period.

If you get checked and the warrant comes up then you get held until the originating agency is called to confirm the warrant's validity and the extradition. If that can't be done (maybe on a weekend or holiday) you may be held until contact can be made.

It's up to you if you want to deal with that.

Just Blue

This nasty little RUDE child should hire an attorney rather than have the VOLUNTEERS of this site that he has insulted assist.
:mad:
Posting Hx.

jamesl8

Out of state warrant? It's a warrant, period.

If you get checked and the warrant comes up then you get held until the originating agency is called to confirm the warrant's validity and the extradition. If that can't be done (maybe on a weekend or holiday) you may be held until contact can be made.

It's up to you if you want to deal with that.
Yeah, ok, 'out of state warrant' was just a phrase I used badly.

And thanks for explaining what would go down. I'm not really keen on dealing with that, which is why I'm asking how it would go.

jamesl8

This nasty little RUDE child should hire an attorney rather than have the VOLUNTEERS of this site that he has insulted assist.
:mad:
Posting Hx.
What is this? La familia? I've said several times, there are people here who offer genuine, legitimate help, which is great. And there's people who don't, which is simply unnecessary. There is such a condescending, down right mean tone to many posts here. I've been reading around.

If you're getting offended, you obviously feel like you don't act in the most honorable way all the time. If you knew that you offered solid advice you would think to yourself, yeah, well I'm awesome. If you thought I was offending your friends....well, er, maybe you should be embarrassed of their actions towards strangers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">