• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

underage posession of unopened liquor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bsierra

I'm 20 years old and live in Elmwood Park, NJ. I drove someone, whom I thought was 21, to the liquor store to purchase alchohol. I waited in the car, and he sucessfully used a fake ID to purchase the alcohol. As we were driving back to my apartment, I was pulled over for making a wrong turn onto a one way road. I explained to the cop that we were comming from the liquor store, and he asked to see both of our ID's. The person I was with handed them his fake ID and he was obviously caught. We were both arrested.

I recieved 3 traffic tickets: one for "wreckless driving", one for "Careless Driving", and one for "wrong way on a one way street". Also, a court summons that reads "....did: while under legal age to purchase alcoholic beverages , knowingly posess without legal authoity in a motor vehicle, specifically by having a liter bottle of bacardi rum and segrams seven whiskey. A violation 2C:33-15 A disorderly person offense."

Being that alcohol was unopened, and that I did not ever use or own a fake ID, and that I didn't purchase any alcohol myself, was the officer correct to charge me with this? My court date is only days away, and I'm wondering how I should plea.

My main concern is the traffic tickets I recieved. Because my license is currently on probabtion, meaning that If I get another moving violation, they will revoke my license for several months. Is there any way to work something out that will dismiss these traffic tickets?

dave33

He charged you correctly.In your statement you do not dispute this. As far as your license goes, get a lawyer. Since your license is on suspension, the wreckless and careless driving charges pose a problem of considerable significance. Hopefully with the assistance of a lawyer you will be able to retain your license.goodluck.

Bsierra

Isn't there a law that states that anyone over the age of 18 is allowed to transport unopened alcohol?

dave33

It would seem not. You were charged with under age posession. In the charges it does say purchase and than posess. Looks like until you are 21 you cannot have booze, but like I said have a lawyer take a look.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">