• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage possesion of beer and open container in public place

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bud19

Need Help Quickly! Underage possesion of beer and open container in public place

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am 19 and recieved a ticket last night for underage possession of beer and another ticket for open container in a public place.
Can I send in the court cost and fine and not appear in court or do I have to appear in court?
What can I expect to be my punishment for these tickets? I have not other arrests for anything
Do I need a Lawyer?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well, what does the ticket tell you? Did you read it?

There should be directions on how to answer right on the ticket.

Bud19

Look I realize this was a really stupid thing to do. I did read the ticket but since I have never experienced any thing like this I am a little unclear. I am scared to death. I am asking for help not smart remarks. The ticket gives me a court date but that is it. Friends have told me that sometimes you can call into the court and find out what the fine would be and just send it in. I am asking if anybody knows if that is possible

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Look I realize this was a really stupid thing to do. I did read the ticket but since I have never experienced any thing like this I am a little unclear. I am scared to death. I am asking for help not smart remarks. The ticket gives me a court date but that is it. Friends have told me that sometimes you can call into the court and find out what the fine would be and just send it in. I am asking if anybody knows if that is possible
You get to go to court. You must appear.

Bud19

like I said I really don't know what I am doing. I have never done anything so stupid in my short life. I will take any advice I can get. Do I need a lawyer? Any idea what punishment I am looking at for a first offence? How should I plead? Is there anything I can do to get this wiped of my record?

Isis1

like I said I really don't know what I am doing. I have never done anything so stupid in my short life. I will take any advice I can get. Do I need a lawyer? Any idea what punishment I am looking at for a first offence? How should I plead? Is there anything I can do to get this wiped of my record?
call the court!!!!!

wiped? not at this date. maybe in the future.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Look I realize this was a really stupid thing to do. I did read the ticket but since I have never experienced any thing like this I am a little unclear. I am scared to death. I am asking for help not smart remarks.
How was that a "smart remark"? The ticket must say something.

You can't read since you're so scared? If there is a date on it then it probably says something like "you must appear". If it doesn't, then you better assume you should and appear on the date written on the ticket.

Or call the court or stop by ahead of time and find out.

Why are you torturing yourself? Put your fear aside and take some steps to help yourself out.

AnthonyJ

My son recently went through the same thing in Missouri. He was caught drinking at a baseball game a few weeks before his twenty first birthday.

Go to court and, if you can, bring one or both of your parents with you. Be respectful when you speak to the judge. I went to court with my son when it happened to him. The judge was very pleased to see that I was there to share in the responsibility for my son's actions. He dismissed the case.

Bud19

Thank you all for your help. Both parents are going with me. And I am ready to take my lumps. Court date is 11/12

Bud19

Well I went to court yesterday and the judge was kind enough to throw out the open container since that was somewhat redundent with the possession charge. Because of that I qualified to be in the first offender program. I must do 8 hours community service, participate in a alchol awareness program pay 125,00 to be in the program and 87.00 in court costs. If I keep my record clean for 6 months then my record will be clean again, if not I am looking at jail time and a hefty fine. Pretty sure underage drinking is not worth the trouble you can get into.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">