• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Understanding my Shoplifting case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vasconcelospepe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

1. I am an international student. Come to GA to visit a friend. The A/C in my friend's house is too cold.
2. I go to Walmart and put into my backpack three shirts and two pairs of socks. I go out without paying it.
3. Since I noticed it was easier, I go back and take a lotion and a throw.
4. They caught me. I admit it. They take me to a little room and pour my backpack in a counter. They ask if I still have staff in my car. I agree.
5. Walmart makes me to sign some paperwork; they are banning me.
6. Police come, take the keys of the car I am driving, go to the car and grab the items I took the first time. The police handcuff me and take me to jail.
7. Since the car I was driving belongs to a friend, the police go to my friend's house, inform him what happened and give him the keys.
8. My friend bonds me out before midnight; I am totally embarrassed and ashamed.
9. Next day I desperately look for an attorney. I found one that promises to get the case dismissed but she cannot do anything until the letter with the court date arrives.
10. I go home for I have to work and pay my friend back. A letter from Walmart came asking $150. I do not pay that at all.
11. The letter comes after almost two months.
12. My attorney seems to put little interest although I have paid the full amount she required to workout my case.
13. The day before my court date she sends me an email with a PDF. She asks me to sign it in front a notary public and send it by regular mail.
14. After a week or so, she sends me an email with an offer with no more explanation: $600 program fee, $30/month supervision, 40 hours community service, TSOP, no contact with Walmart.
15. She says that she will sign me up on the next court date and that I need to send a certified check to provide it to the County Probation.
16. Seems OK for me, but I have six questions, like where and hows about those 40 hours, what does TSOP stand for, when does she need the check, for how many months am I going to pay those $30 USD... and stuff. I call her and she does not have time to explain. She has her paralegal contact me.
17. I ask the same questions to the paralegal, who says she will get back to me as soon as she ask my attorney. She never does. So I finally call my attorney again. She says all of sudden: you are going to have to come down to GA so you can explain the court what happened and then have all of your questions answered...
18. My actual status shows as "Waived Formal Arraignment"

I admit I committed a crime/offense.

Thanks,

pepe

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

1. I am an international student. Come to GA to visit a friend. The A/C in my friend's house is too cold.
2. I go to Walmart and put into my backpack three shirts and two pairs of socks. I go out without paying it.
4. They caught me. I admit it. They take me to a little room and pour my backpack in a counter. They ask if I still have staff in my car. I agree.
6. Police come, take the keys of the car I am driving, go to the car and grab the items I took the first time. The police handcuff me and take me to jail.
7. Since the car I was driving belongs to a friend, the police go to my friend's house, inform him what happened and give him the keys.
8. My friend bonds me out before midnight; I am totally embarrassed and ashamed.
9. Next day I desperately look for an attorney. I found one that promises to get the case dismissed but she cannot do anything until the letter with the court date arrives.
10. I go home for I have to work and pay my friend back. A letter from Walmart came asking $150. I do not pay that at all.
12. My attorney seems to put little interest although I have paid the full amount she required to workout my case.
13. The day before my court date she sends me an email with a PDF. She asks me to sign it in front a notary public and send it by regular mail.
14. After a week or so, she sends me an email with an offer with no more explanation: $600 program fee, $30/month supervision, 40 hours community service, TSOP, no contact with Walmart.
15. She says that she will sign me up on the next court date and that I need to send a certified check to provide it to the County Probation.
16. Seems OK for me, but I have six questions, like where and hows about those 40 hours, what does TSOP stand for, when does she need the check, for how many months am I going to pay those $30 USD... and stuff. I call her and she does not have time to explain. She has her paralegal contact me.
17. I ask the same questions to the paralegal, who says she will get back to me as soon as she ask my attorney. She never does. So I finally call my attorney again. She says all of sudden: you are going to have to come down to GA so you can explain the court what happened and then have all of your questions answered...

Thanks,

pepe
I'd suggest that you go to court.

single317dad

Thanks,

pepe
TSOP is Time Spent On Probation. If you agree to the program, pay the fees, stay out of trouble, and follow all the other guidelines, your case will close. Note that this is probably NOT a dismissal or diversion program. It is likely a guilty plea. Your 40 hours CS will be in the community that you wronged by your actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">