• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unfair treatment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fuzzikitti

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MISSOURI
my son was arrested for defending himself against someone that assaulted him first. The police did not take a statement from my son or his witness' and stated that they did not need to. But took a statement from the other party. My son is black the other party is white and so was the police officer. The other party has been harrassing my son for a month now and nothing has been done to him but as soon as my son fights back he is wrong. The prosecutor only has one side of the story so a warrant has been placed on my son. What can be done. This sounds racial and unfair to me. Also while he was in jail for assault he was not allowed a phone call.

FlyingRon

"Fighting back" isn't self defense.

If you feel the cops didn't investigate incidents properly, there is almost always an avenue for submitting a complaint about that.

Has your son been charged with anything?

Do you have a question or did you just come here to vent?

Random Man

Well guys, he got home last night and had a nice short talk. Since I wasn't the one who had actually taken the item (I didn't live with him back then, it was a mutual friend of ours) he said he can press charges for "Theft by receiving"; my name and pic are with it at the pawn shop. I didn't know that it mattered if I took it or not... but anyways, he gave me two options:
1.) He presses charges and since the value of the item is $1200, it's a felony and I spend at least a year in jail....or...
2.) I pay him $1500 over the course of the next 6-8 months

I'm OBVIOUSLY thinking that I'll take option 2, OF COURSE! Even though I think that's blackmail or something; I don't care... I'm greatful that I can hopefully now let all the mistakes made in my "previous life of crime and drugs" just rest in peace. I'm going to spend the day with my daughter... so thank you all!!

Antigone*

Well guys, he got home last night and had a nice short talk. Since I wasn't the one who had actually taken the item (I didn't live with him back then, it was a mutual friend of ours) he said he can press charges for "Theft by receiving"; my name and pic are with it at the pawn shop. I didn't know that it mattered if I took it or not... but anyways, he gave me two options:
1.) He presses charges and since the value of the item is $1200, it's a felony and I spend at least a year in jail....or...
2.) I pay him $1500 over the course of the next 6-8 months

I'm OBVIOUSLY thinking that I'll take option 2, OF COURSE! Even though I think that's blackmail or something; I don't care... I'm greatful that I can hopefully now let all the mistakes made in my "previous life of crime and drugs" just rest in peace. I'm going to spend the day with my daughter... so thank you all!!
What the :confused:

CdwJava

Random Man replied to the thread next to his, I think. I believe he meant to repoy to the thread he started.

Random Man

Apologies...

Ahhh, yes indeed! I do apologize for interrupting your thread; I am still getting used to this forum. My last post was intended for a previous thread... Sorry!

lucasapprentice

I need help

Michigan
A few months back some cops showed up at my girlfriend at the times(currently my wife) apartment. No one had weed on us but there was some in the room. I ended up confessing it was mine after being sat by the exterior door of the building and questioned. It was about 30 degrees and I wasn't told that I didn't have to answer them. I was under the impression that they were going to take my girlfriend to jail if I didn't. When I asked for a coat(my apartment) they refused. I was told to call a number to talk to a deputy to set up the dealer or go to jail. So I called and left a message with my name and number. Months went by where I had the same phone number and registered address and they didn't contact me. Then when walking home with my wife and friend we were stopped by two cop cars. Immediately I was asked if I had any weapons. I replied no. I had a wife beater and shorts on with a shirt around my neck. He took the shirt and gave it to my wife. He told me to put my hands on my head and I asked him why? He then said with a raised voice "I said put your hands on your head" so I did. He performed a weapons frisk on the exterior of my clothes like he's allowed but upon patting my pocket he said "thats why?" and pulled out a pipe and a baggy with less than a gram in it. I was placed in a cop car. I found out that I had a warrant out for my arrest because he said I didn't call. My wife sat there next to me when I did. I was starting to get cold. I had only removed my outside shirt because I had been a little warm walking. I had asked if I could get the shirt from my wife, who was standing right there, and he had refused. He said he didn't have time for it. He then questioned me. I then found out he was one of the cops from that night months earlier. Neither time the cops tried to illicit(sp?) information was I read my miranda rights and the cop knowingly removed the contraband from my pockets. The bowl was only a couple inches long and couldn't resemble any weapon I've ever seen. I ended up going to jail. My wife bailed me out but in order to do that she had to over draw the bank account. I have to see the judge here for the first time next week. i need advice.

Last edited:

Antigone*

Michigan
A few months back some cops showed up at my girlfriend at the times(currently my wife) apartment. No one had weed on us but there was some in the room. I ended up confessing it was mine after being sat by the exterior door of the building and questioned. It was about 30 degrees and I wasn't told that I didn't have to answer them. I was under the impression that they were going to take my girlfriend to jail if I didn't. When I asked for a coat(my apartment) they refused. I was told to call a number to talk to a deputy to set up the dealer or go to jail. So I called and left a message with my name and number. Months went by where I had the same phone number and registered address and they didn't contact me. Then when walking home with my wife and friend we were stopped by two cop cars. Immediately I was asked if I had any weapons. I replied no. I had a wife beater and shorts on with a shirt around my neck. He took the shirt and gave it to my wife. He told me to put my hands on my head and I asked him why? He then said with a raised voice "I said put your hands on your head" so I did. He performed a weapons frisk on the exterior of my clothes like he's allowed but upon patting my pocket he said "thats why?" and pulled out a pipe and a baggy with less than a gram in it. I was placed in a cop car. I found out that I had a warrant out for my arrest because he said I didn't call. My wife sat there next to me when I did. I was starting to get cold. I had only removed my outside shirt because I had been a little warm walking. I had asked if I could get the shirt from my wife, who was standing right there, and he had refused. He said he didn't have time for it. He then questioned me. I then found out he was one of the cops from that night months earlier. Neither time the cops tried to illicit(sp?) information was I read my miranda rights and the cop knowingly removed the contraband from my pockets. The bowl was only a couple inches long and couldn't resemble any weapon I've ever seen. I ended up going to jail. My wife bailed me out but in order to do that she had to over draw the bank account. I have to see the judge here for the first time next week. i need advice.
Please start your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">