• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unknown warrent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dragonslight

What is the name of your state? California

I was arrested last dec. for obstrution of police and assult to former domestic partner...

< They said I spit at my ex-wife and I left my house before the police showed up so they had to go find me. >

Anyway they didnt seem to act like it was to surious and when I got to jail they said the case would most likely get thrown out. I got bailed out that night and never heard anything from the police or recived any date to go to court so I figured it was dropped...

around three years ago I was put on informal probation and I went to the county court website a couple weeks ago to find the exact day my term was up, while there I noticed a charge entered under my name for a FTA with a warrent because of that arrest!!!

Q: I dont even live in california anymore and am wondering how to go about solving this problem without going out there and turning myself in...?
< not only am I not guilty and theres no evidence against me but I was never informed of any court date >

Q: Is there a length of time this will last or is the warrent there forever?

Thanks for your time and I am greatful to hear any help or info on this matter

seniorjudge

dragonslight said:

I was arrested last dec. for obstrution of police and assult to former domestic partner...

< They said I spit at my ex-wife and I left my house before the police showed up so they had to go find me. >

Anyway they didnt seem to act like it was to surious and when I got to jail they said the case would most likely get thrown out. I got bailed out that night and never heard anything from the police or recived any date to go to court so I figured it was dropped...

around three years ago I was put on informal probation and I went to the county court website a couple weeks ago to find the exact day my term was up, while there I noticed a charge entered under my name for a FTA with a warrent because of that arrest!!!

Q: I dont even live in california anymore and am wondering how to go about solving this problem without going out there and turning myself in...?
< not only am I not guilty and theres no evidence against me but I was never informed of any court date >

Q: I dont even live in california anymore and am wondering how to go about solving this problem?

A: Surrender in California.

CdwJava

The warrant will last forever.

Also, when you were released you were almost certainly given a court date among the papers you signed. Additionally, if you posted a bond, the bail company would have - or SHOULD have let you know because they were on the hook for the rest of your bail.

The only way you can resolve this is at court. You might be able to hire a CA attorney to handle it for you.

If you fail to get the warrant cleared you will find government assistance (loans, benefits, etc.) may be denied you even 20 years from now. Warrants have a way of dogging you even in other states.

- Carl

smutlydog

dragonslight said:

Also, it is my understanding that you can't claim any inheritence with a warrant like that.At least with Federal FTA warrants you can't. I am not sure if it works that way with state warrants.

CdwJava

dragonslight said:
I can see the DV in this (the spitting is battery) per PC 243(e), but I have never seen leaving before the police arrived charged as resisting/delaying/obstructing an officer per PC 148(a). The 148 charge would take some very creative writing, and I can't imagine that the charge was sustained solely because you weren't there when the cops got there. If so, then I can imagine that this charge will vaporize before trial.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">