• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unlawful possesion of weapons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lil_kydarlin

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I'm actually in KY but the guy I'm seeing is in Illinois. He was staying here in Ky with me, and while here he purchased a rifle, because here carrying a gun is as common as carrying a wallet. We are required to get a Concealed Deadly Weapons permit ONLY if we plan to conceal the weapon (hence the name:p ), it is not uncommon to see guns on racks in the windows of trucks here. We use them for hunting and protection- he got one because of my exhusband and also, I live on a farm where coyote and wild dogs often threaten the livestock. He went back to Illinois, to look for a better paying job (the pay scale here is VERY low) and his 2nd day there he was pulled over and had forgotten the gun was in his truck until the officer asked him if he had any drugs or weapons in the vehicle and he informed the officer of the gun, which was in a case burried under some clothes in the king cab of his truck (he hadn't even unpacked yet). He was arrested for unlawful possesion of a weapon, he did not have a FOID card, since he hadn't been there that long. What can happen? I know that a non resident is not required to have a FOID card and the gun must be in a case (which it was), can he use the fact that he has technically lived with me in KY since July -8 mo's. How can we prove residency?

Z

zappy

No comment.......anyone with a gun is a LOSER, and you like LOSERS.

Yeah ya kill the old ex hubby, so the 2 of ya can live haapilie eva aftahhhh

L

loocpoc

lil_kydarlin said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I'm actually in KY but the guy I'm seeing is in Illinois. He was staying here in Ky with me, and while here he purchased a rifle, because here carrying a gun is as common as carrying a wallet. We are required to get a Concealed Deadly Weapons permit ONLY if we plan to conceal the weapon (hence the name:p ), it is not uncommon to see guns on racks in the windows of trucks here. We use them for hunting and protection- he got one because of my exhusband and also, I live on a farm where coyote and wild dogs often threaten the livestock. He went back to Illinois, to look for a better paying job (the pay scale here is VERY low) and his 2nd day there he was pulled over and had forgotten the gun was in his truck until the officer asked him if he had any drugs or weapons in the vehicle and he informed the officer of the gun, which was in a case burried under some clothes in the king cab of his truck (he hadn't even unpacked yet). He was arrested for unlawful possesion of a weapon, he did not have a FOID card, since he hadn't been there that long. What can happen? I know that a non resident is not required to have a FOID card and the gun must be in a case (which it was), can he use the fact that he has technically lived with me in KY since July -8 mo's. How can we prove residency?
Bring some proof that he had been residing in KY and had made application for a FOID card when he moved to IL. Unfortunatly in IL its illegal to posses any weapon without a FOID card.

Son of Slam

Re: Re: unlawful possesion of weapons

loocpoc said:
Unfortunatly in IL its illegal to posses any weapon without a FOID card.
Unless you are visiting from another state, and have a permit from there or wepon is encased.

L

loocpoc

Re: Re: Re: unlawful possesion of weapons

Son of Slam said:
Unless you are visiting from another state, and have a permit from there or wepon is encased.
Illinois does not recognize other state permits nor are they required too. Its a legal arrest as the defendant did not have a FOID card in his possesion.

H

hmmbrdzz

This is something I found on the internet related to your situation. The entire article (good article) can be found at the URL address below

Realistic Self-Defense and the Armed Citizen, Part I By Curt Bolding ©2000

Excerpt
Quote: “Now, the big change in the law is in provision three above. You may now carry a firearm within the passenger compartment of your car as long as it is unloaded and in a case and the person has a valid FOID card. The ammunition may be carried in the passenger compartment as long as it’s not in the gun. This is a very postive step towards safety on the highway. Incidentally, the law doesn’t say you have to have the FOID card on your person, although I highly recommend it. If you don’t have it, the police can run your name and DOB through the computer and find out if it’s valid. In order to legally acquire or possess a firearm or purchase ammunition in Illinois, you have to have a FOID card anyway(430 ILCS 65/2), so you might as well keep it in your wallet. Under that same statute, if I carry a gun off duty, I have to have a valid FOID card too. “

Here’s the URL for the entire article.

http://www.2ampd.net/Articles/Bolding/Realistic Self-Defense and the Armed Citizen, Part I.htm

L

lil_kydarlin

Thank you for your input

Thank you everyone for your input. Unfortunately I had already researched and found all that info and it really doesn't help because he DIDN'T have a FOID card. I found in the law where a NON-resident can have a weapon as long as it is secured in a case, which his was. But I don't know how we can prove residency for him in KY, I have a rent receipt with both our names-would that work? He lives with me, but his truck and drivers lic is still in Illinois because his mother still lives there, I don't know if that would hurt case or not. His job requires a lot of travel and he does work in Illinois sometimes, but he also works in Indiana, Fla, TN- he comes home on his days off. Would the rent receipt and a notarized statement help at all? Does anyone know the penalty for this if it doesn't help? I believe I understood it to be a class A misdemeanor, but I don't know how harsh they are on a first offender with this crime- I see Illinois takes it VERY seriously.

I asked him why:rolleyes: he told the officer about the gun, he said he was just being honest. He didn't know it was such a big deal.

I wondered what you would have to say Zappy- I've read some of your other comments. My ex husband is a loser, yes. My boyfriend is not. We do not plan to kill him- he constantly threatens me and to kidnap our son. It takes 45 mins for police to get to my house when I call 911 and there are tapes to prove that, the advice I was given by the state troopers here- "you have a gun, he's not taking your son anywhere", take that how you may. We in the state of KY have the right to protect ourselves, a right that I'm thankful for- and he's not dead yet, so I haven't abused it. But thank you for your comments.

P

PRD2BAMRICN

I find it a sad state of affairs that all states have to honor a license for a privilege (i.e. drivers license), yet can deny a basic right granted by the Constitution. as for zappy.. if all losers own guns then wouldn't it be safe to say that the majority of the citizens of the United States are losers?

Kruser

You got my vote!. GW bush and Charlton Heston are my Presidents. I think we need more Texas Law in the other states.The states that have guns outlawed, have the highest crime rate. A study of convicts said there greatest determent was knowing a store owener was armed. Wasn't there a city that banned guns had the highest crime rate in the U.S. The city next to it made it manditory that ever citizen buy a handgun had no problems. NUFF said.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">