• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unlawful transaction with a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

concerned_mom2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

My son has a friend that has been staying with us for several months now. He just graduated high school and turned 19 and I am in the process of helping him to enroll in school to get he mechanics certification.

Today he was served a summons to appear in court for an unlawful transaction with a minor charge KRS.530.070 based on- He persistently and knowingly induces, assists or causes a minor to disobey his parent or guardian. This is a class A 3rd degree misdemeanor.

The charge was filed by his girlfriend's step father. They first started dating when he was 18 and she was 15. I was afraid something like this might happen but they were already dating when he came to stay with us. Her mother had set them down and talked with them and agreed that it was ok for them to date. Her parents allowed the daughter to spend 2 days a week with him (unchaperoned might I add- when he was residing at his parents, but I did not allow that in my home, and I have never once met them which I felt was odd, they had no idea where she was or what kind of people we were, something I wouldn't allow for my 15 yr old daughter!) during the summer as well as letting him take her to her gymnastics class and home from work and occasional evening dates. He has turned 19 and she is now 16. Apparently she became grounded for being disrespectful to her parents and her cellphone was taken away. He did not know this had transpired and he thought that she was mad at him for something, so he went to talk to her. His BIG mistake was, he climbed up the trellis to her window in order to talk to her and try to make amends. Her mother came out and saw him and told him to leave, which he did. This was 3 wks ago. He called their house that night to apologize to the mother and she told him that he could not date her daughter until she turned 18. He called a couple of days later to talk to the mother and left another apology on the answering machine and then the girl texted him from school, from another girls phone and told him a boy at her school was touching her inappropriately, he went to the school and reported it to the principal and then called her parents to inform them that he had done so. ( By the fact she didn't talk to her parents about the other boy implies to me, either she was making it up for attn or her relationship with her parents isn't one where she feels she can talk to them.) That was the last communication that he had with her or them and that was last week. The step father filed these charges 2 days ago. It cites that the boy was causing the daughter to disobey her parents, that he climbed up to her window (3 wks ago) and continues to try to have contact with her (he called the above 3 times and not once asked to talk to her) and an order of no contact. That being said, he does not understand why they are doing this, they never told him that he couldn't even talk to her, only that they could not date. We do not understand what he is doing that is encouraging her to disobey her parents as the charge states.

This charge could cost him the opportunity to go to school (in which he will be out of town and only home on the weekends). I realize I have no legal rights in this, I am only trying to help him. He has no one else. Is it acceptable for him to try to locate the officer that took the complaint to ask what they said he was doing to cause her to disobey them? Would it be ok if I called the mother myself to talk with her? My hope would be that knowing he was leaving for school, they might drop the charge. I don't want to do anything that may cause further retaliation from them towards him.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

My son has a friend that has been staying with us for several months now. He just graduated high school and turned 19 and I am in the process of helping him to enroll in school to get he mechanics certification.

Today he was served a summons to appear in court for an unlawful transaction with a minor charge KRS.530.070 based on- He persistently and knowingly induces, assists or causes a minor to disobey his parent or guardian. This is a class A 3rd degree misdemeanor.

The charge was filed by his girlfriend's step father. They first started dating when he was 18 and she was 15. I was afraid something like this might happen but they were already dating when he came to stay with us. Her mother had set them down and talked with them and agreed that it was ok for them to date. Her parents allowed the daughter to spend 2 days a week with him (unchaperoned might I add- when he was residing at his parents, but I did not allow that in my home, and I have never once met them which I felt was odd, they had no idea where she was or what kind of people we were, something I wouldn't allow for my 15 yr old daughter!) during the summer as well as letting him take her to her gymnastics class and home from work and occasional evening dates. He has turned 19 and she is now 16. Apparently she became grounded for being disrespectful to her parents and her cellphone was taken away. He did not know this had transpired and he thought that she was mad at him for something, so he went to talk to her. His BIG mistake was, he climbed up the trellis to her window in order to talk to her and try to make amends. Her mother came out and saw him and told him to leave, which he did. This was 3 wks ago. He called their house that night to apologize to the mother and she told him that he could not date her daughter until she turned 18. He called a couple of days later to talk to the mother and left another apology on the answering machine and then the girl texted him from school, from another girls phone and told him a boy at her school was touching her inappropriately, he went to the school and reported it to the principal and then called her parents to inform them that he had done so. ( By the fact she didn't talk to her parents about the other boy implies to me, either she was making it up for attn or her relationship with her parents isn't one where she feels she can talk to them.) That was the last communication that he had with her or them and that was last week. The step father filed these charges 2 days ago. It cites that the boy was causing the daughter to disobey her parents, that he climbed up to her window (3 wks ago) and continues to try to have contact with her (he called the above 3 times and not once asked to talk to her) and an order of no contact. That being said, he does not understand why they are doing this, they never told him that he couldn't even talk to her, only that they could not date. We do not understand what he is doing that is encouraging her to disobey her parents as the charge states.

This charge could cost him the opportunity to go to school (in which he will be out of town and only home on the weekends). I realize I have no legal rights in this, I am only trying to help him. He has no one else. Is it acceptable for him to try to locate the officer that took the complaint to ask what they said he was doing to cause her to disobey them? Would it be ok if I called the mother myself to talk with her? My hope would be that knowing he was leaving for school, they might drop the charge. I don't want to do anything that may cause further retaliation from them towards him.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
No it is not acceptable for this young man to contact anyone. He shouldn't do anything or speak to the police about this without an attorney present.

He needs to stay away from this girl at all costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">