• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid fine, warrant issued, hlp plz

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Raist1123

What is the name of your state? New York
I was supposed to have a 620$ fine paid by the 4th of Dec., however I was unable to get that much, I only have 300$.
The cops came to my house with a warrent and I did not answer the door of course, cause I do not wanna go to jail.. I have no intension of not paying the fine, however it might take a week or two..
I had written the judge 3 weeks prior to the payment asking for a extension, however he did not respond :(.
I want badly to go down to the court house and see what I can do, but I am told by all my friends to hide and wait till I have the fine money.. Cause I know that the judge will throw me in jail, and I will lose my job, and then have NO chance of paying the fine, and worst of all have to spend X-Mas in jail..
What am I to do, I am locked up in my house and freaking out. And worst off I do not feel like I should have to feel like this for a lousy 620$, when I have no intension of not paying it.. I was only given 1 1/2 months to pay it, and I was in jail prior to that, when I got out and had no job no nothing, my g/f took everything when I got out , and I had to spend what little money I did have on a place to live and food and such..
Can anyone plz gimmie some advice?

R

Raist1123

FIne

Wanted to add this also... Is it better for me to go pay the fine or send a friend? And seeing there is a warent, if he pays the fine will the Warrent get dismissed?

JETX

"Can anyone plz gimmie some advice?"
*** Of course you are looking for some 'magic wand' that will make this issue go away or at least delay it. Sorry, but the reality is.... there isn't any.

Bottom line.. you have a warrant out for your arrest. That warrant has likely incurred additional charges (over and above the pre-warrant amount).

You have no real option but to pay this fine and the associated costs. Your 'excuse' of not having the money is not relevant to the issue at hand. Your post makes no mention of what caused this fine, but simply, if you couldn't afford the penalty, you shouldn't have done the crime. Harsh, but true.

R

Raist1123

JETX

Hey Jetx, would you mind having a convo via, aim, msn or yahoo? plz respond if you can, My e-mail addy is [email protected].. I would like to give you insight on this subject, as you seem to have some legal knowledge

R

Raist1123

fine

I understand all of that Jet, But I am just curious, that if I go down and tell the judge that I cannot pay it, is he obligated to thow me in jail? Or is it a decission that he will make on the spot?
And if he does, willk he have to set bail? losts of questions.. But as stated I am going to pay the fine but i do not wanna go to jail in the proccess...
Also, when i poay the fine can he still put me in jail for something else? and the fine is due to a Contemp of court in the 2nd, I did 28 days, and he gave me time served and smacked me with the fine(which my PD did not inform me of)m I was expecting at most a small surcharge :/, otherwise I would have asked for an alternative to the fine.. Also is it too take to get an alternative to the fine, such a Community service>?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">