• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid speeding ticket in the state of UT, but I live in CA.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CorkyBuchik

California

I received a speeding ticket back in July of 2004 in Cedar City, UT. Months later they sent me a letter stating that a warrant for my arrest had been issued due to non-payment of the ticket. Unfortunately, I lost the letter and the ticket. It's been over 3 years and there's been no mention of that ticket from the DMV in CA every time I've registered my car. Is it possible for me to get arrested here in California over that ticket? Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue? Thanks in advance.

CavemanLawyer

Its unlikely you'd get picked up on the warrant in California, and probably unheard of for them to extradite you to UT over a municipal warrant but it sure would be a hassle to have to get arrested and sit the time out in jail. You never know too, potential employers might somehow see the warrant in a background check. The bottom line is that the court where the warrant was issued out of, they just want their money and would be happy to accept it through the mail. If you can't remember which court it is maybe you can remember what part of town you got pulled over in? You should be able to find info online as to what court covers that area, or you could call that city's DA's office or the County Clerk's office or the police department (ask for warrant division) and ask them to look up your warrant and find out the issuing court. Just find out which court it is and then call them and ask them the amount to pay (you're gonna have the ticket plus court costs plus failure to appear) and how to pay it.

mrgonzo

I had a friend in the exact same situation, though he lived in Hawaii which would be a little harder to extradite from!

He received a 1000 dollar speeding ticket in Utah, obviously a lot of money so he went back to hawaii and never payed it. A few months later he received a CC of a letter from Utah to Hawaii Police saying "to all lawmen, etc. etc." I think it was a warrant.

Well he was always afraid since HPD got the letter that they would do something, but he got in a few accidents after this, HPD ran his info and never said a word.

I actually asked an officer this once who was giving me a speeding ticket, he basically said that once Im gone whatever, but if I come back to that state Ill be arrested; so I decided to pay. Plus like caveman lawyer said, it could cause major employment issues. I would just call them and see if you can still pay it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">