• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsercover police officer searching for terrorists

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbravo382

What is the name of your state? New York

a week ago one of my friends disappeared, he had been my friend for about 4 years years now and a few days ago I found out he was an undercover police officer that was on an assignment for the last 4 years.

his assignment was to live in and mingle with the community here in Brooklyn i hopes of finding terrorists.

from what I understand his task was to collect information on people in the area.

here is my question- is there a way for me to find out if he has written a file on me, and if so can I see it?

not worried about being arrested or anything as Ive never done anything illegal (not even driving over the speed limit) but I am bothered by this whole big brother watching incident.

what can I do?

C

CALIF-PROLAW30

jbravo382 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

a week ago one of my friends disappeared, he had been my friend for about 4 years years now and a few days ago I found out he was an undercover police officer that was on an assignment for the last 4 years.

his assignment was to live in and mingle with the community here in Brooklyn i hopes of finding terrorists.

from what I understand his task was to collect information on people in the area.

here is my question- is there a way for me to find out if he has written a file on me, and if so can I see it?

not worried about being arrested or anything as Ive never done anything illegal (not even driving over the speed limit) but I am bothered by this whole big brother watching incident.

what can I do?

My response:

If there's a current investigation going on, then there's nothing you can do. Big Brother has always been there taking notes, since the beginning of this country.

Do a little history reading, too. You've heard of J. Edgar Hoover, haven't you? That's just a little "taste" of what you're concerned about.

IAAL

CdwJava

jbravo382 said:
How did you happen to find this out?

Unless he has been pulled out and they have started arresting and prosecutiong people he has contacted over the past four years you are not simply going to be able to find out that he's an "undercover" officer looking for terrorists by phoning someone.

- Carl

jbravo382

yeah I found out when I saw him in the paper testifying against some would be bomber

its crazy you think you know someone for 4 years and in the end you find out every second they sepnt with you they were on the job, it eplains a lot of the strange things that Id see or the times he would act strangely.

CdwJava

jbravo382 said:
yeah I found out when I saw him in the paper testifying against some would be bomber

its crazy you think you know someone for 4 years and in the end you find out every second they sepnt with you they were on the job, it eplains a lot of the strange things that Id see or the times he would act strangely.
The best undercover ops include keeping a lot of things truthful. It also means making real friendships in that time period. So, while he may have been "on the job" you may never have been a part of any investigation.

- Carl

jbravo382

if that was the case and his friendship was genuine then I dont mind at all I even wish him the best on his next assignment.

but thats what Id like to be sure about, is there a way for me to find out if I have a file. the current trial he is involved in is almost over and he is all over the news papers so his cover is blown.

now that that has happened what do I do to get my file if there is one?

should I get a lawyer to do it for me?

fairisfair

jbravo382 said:
if that was the case and his friendship was genuine then I dont mind at all I even wish him the best on his next assignment.

but thats what Id like to be sure about, is there a way for me to find out if I have a file. the current trial he is involved in is almost over and he is all over the news papers so his cover is blown.

Jeez dude, for someone who has nothing to worry about, you sure seem worried about nothing.

CdwJava

jbravo382 said:

If there is a file, it is likely part of an ongoing investigation, so no one will confirm or deny your involvement.

If you haven't done anything, then don't worry about it. If you aren't involved then at most you would be in his notes which are not generally public record in any event.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">