• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confusedinMS

Secret Indictment

What is the name of your state? MS

Over 6 years ago, I, along with another person, were arrested and charged with possession with intent to distribute. I bonded out and waited to hear from either the bonding company or the courts. Last year, I was arrested for driving on a suspended license and found out that there was a fugitive warrant for me because of the indictment that I was unaware of. (I live in another state) My mother contacted the sherriff's office to ask why I had not been notified of the indictment and was told that it was a "secret indictment". We explained to her that I was already on bond for the same charge and she told me that she had no record of me being arrested or on bond. My mother faxed her the bond paperwork and the fugitive warrant was lifted.

For years, I contacted the court asking if there was indictment and was always told "no". I assumed that the statute of limitations had run until last year. Because of this, I was not given the opportunity to motion for speedy trial. Also, the delay is on the side of the prosecution not me. I have been told that I need to come pick up the indictment and that I will have to bond out again. This doesn't make any sense to me. There should have never been a "secret indictment". It has been over 6 years. What can or should I do?
Have my rights to a speedy trial been violated? I have not hidden from the courts, but do not have money for an attorney. What options do I have?

Last edited:

confusedinMS

Does anyone have any information that can help me understand how to proceed? I really need some advice on how to handle this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">