• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unusual arrest warrant/DMV situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alyxx

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,
In 1992, my friend, Joe, got a DUI in California. After finding out his insurance went sky-high, Joe somehow got a fake SSN, then another driver’s license and insurance - under his name, but with the new SSN, a changed middle initial, and a birthday eight days from his real birthday. The DMV figured it out (hard to imagine, isn’t it?). He was told to see a DMV Commissioner about the matter. The commissioner took the fake license, chewed Joe out, said he was going to give Joe a break, and the matter was concluded. At least, that’s what Joe believed.

In mid-May, 2006, a friend who works for the probation department in Santa Barbara, where Joe and I both live, discovered that in 1995, San Diego County issued an arrest warrant in his name, for the above matter. Needless to say, Joe was shocked, since he thought it was finished when he met with the DMV Commissioner, 11 or 12 years ago.

Joe went to San Diego the next day to straighten it out. Now he tells me he’s got a trial set for June 2, and asked me to help him find an attorney in San Diego. Better late than never, I guess. Anyway, how would I go about finding an attorney who will represent him? He owns his own successful kitchen/bath countertop business with three employees, and has no other legal problems. Neither of us knows anyone in San Diego. What sort of punishment or penalty can Joe expect from this? Your help would be most appreciated, as we are both freaking out.

Last edited:

C

CALIF-PRO36

alyxx said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hello,
In 1992, my friend, Joe, got a DUI in California. After finding out his insurance went sky-high, Joe somehow got a fake SSN, then another driver’s license and insurance - under his name, but with the new SSN, a changed middle initial, and a birthday eight days from his real birthday. The DMV figured it out (hard to imagine, isn’t it?). He was told to see a DMV Commissioner about the matter. The commissioner took the fake license, chewed Joe out, said he was going to give Joe a break, and the matter was concluded. At least, that’s what Joe believed.

In mid-May, 2006, a friend who works for the probation department in Santa Barbara, where Joe and I both live, discovered that in 1995, San Diego County issued an arrest warrant in his name, for the above matter. Needless to say, Joe was shocked, since he thought it was finished when he met with the DMV Commissioner, 11 or 12 years ago.

Joe went to San Diego the next day to straighten it out. Now he tells me he’s got a trial set for June 2, and asked me to help him find an attorney in San Diego. Better late than never, I guess. Anyway, how would I go about finding an attorney who will represent him? He owns his own successful kitchen/bath countertop business with three employees, and has no other legal problems. Neither of us knows anyone in San Diego. What sort of punishment or penalty can Joe expect from this? Your help would be most appreciated, as we are both freaking out.
My response:

"Let your fingers do the walking in the Yellow Pages." (So the jingle goes). You'll find one in your local public library.

IAAL

alyxx

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too helpful

Let your fingers do the walking in the Yellow Pages." (So the jingle goes). You'll find one in your local public library.

Yea? I can also find a list of San Diego area attorneys on line.

The yellow pages, LOL? That's the best you can do? The whole reason I posted was to avoid having to "let my fingers to do the walking." I believe you must be telling me to take a hike. Let me return the sentiment. Be sure to take your cavalier attitude along when you leave. The usual warning about the door contacting one's backside seems relevant as well. I'm sure you hear it all the time.

The number one reason for not making the choice of an attorney as simple as picking a name out of a directory is, because I might pick an attorney who, instead of providing substantive and useful advice, is as monumentally helpful, not to mention as comprehensively knowledgeable, as you apparently are.

Nice job.

weenor

alyxx said:
Let your fingers do the walking in the Yellow Pages." (So the jingle goes). You'll find one in your local public library.

The yellow pages, LOL? That's the best you can do? The whole reason I posted was to avoid having to "let my fingers to do the walking." I believe you must be telling me to take a hike. Let me return the sentiment. Be sure to take your cavalier attitude along when you leave. The usual warning about the door contacting one's backside seems relevant as well. I'm sure you hear it all the time.

The number one reason for not making the choice of an attorney as simple as picking a name out of a directory is, because I might pick an attorney who, instead of providing substantive and useful advice, is as monumentally helpful, not to mention as comprehensively knowledgeable, as you apparently are.

Nice job.

Dude its always a crap shoot no matter how you find a lawyer unless you know someone who knows someone.....but call the local bar association to at least get names that specialize in the necessary practice area.

moburkes

Unnecessarily Rude

alyxx said:

Nice job.
Alyxx, the terms of the website (read the bottom of each page) state that there is to be no solicitation. You asked a simple question, and got a simple answer. That was it. There was no need to be rude. The terms also suggest a website to locate an attorney. NO one here is going to lead you to an attorney, nor will they take your case.

Remember, this is a FREE advice website. All of the knowledge that you receive is FREE. That's it. There are no other guarantees. However, you seem to have expected some stranger on the internet to give you advice on which attorney to seek? How can you vouch for the character of the person giving you the information? That doesn't make sense for you to "trust" a referral from a FREE website. Only your due diligence (or your friend's) will find the right person. Therefore, you searching the internet or the phone book would be a better use of your time so that you can ask the attorney all the necessary questions. This is just the wrong place to get that information.

alyxx

A sincere apology

I'm sorry that I was rude and offended anyone. Thanks to weenor for the suggestions, and for the fast response. I hadn't thought about the bar association, and it's a really good idea. I'm grateful for your help and so is my friend.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">