• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unwarrented Search on Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalnovice1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California....I have a friend lets call her "person A" that was on her period and she went with another friend "person B" to buy some tampons at a local supermarket. Person B thought that she had some money with her, but she didn't. The two of them didn't have any other options to get the tampons so they thought they would get away with stealing them. The security guard caught them outside the store when they almost got to the car, and he called the police. The male officer was rude to the teenage girls and searched their car, for any stolen items, which I believe violates the 4th Amendment since their wasn't a legitimate reason to search the car and their was no warrant. At the police station the male officer was still verbally abusive. He made inappropriate comments to my friends such as they were poor and they probably have bad parents. In addition, the handcuffs were too tight on the girls and the male officer refuse to loosen them. My friend has visible marks on her wrist a day after the arrest. Does she have a strong case against this male officer and his violation of her rights as stated in the 4th amendment? Her court date is in October what can I do to help her get out of this, and possibly turn this on the male officer? Any comments will be appreciated. Thanx

grasmicc

In theory she could sue under civil rights act for the blatant illegality of the car search. In practice, she has no remedy. If she hadn't been engaged in illegal activity prior to the search then she'd probably have an actual case here worth a few K.

However, I can assure her that, in the future, she will be able to prevent similar violations of her rights by... not engaging in criminal activity.

BelizeBreeze

legalnovice1 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California....I have a friend lets call her "person A" that was on her period and she went with another friend "person B" to buy some tampons at a local supermarket. Person B thought that she had some money with her, but she didn't. The two of them didn't have any other options to get the tampons so they thought they would get away with stealing them. The security guard caught them outside the store when they almost got to the car, and he called the police. The male officer was rude to the teenage girls and searched their car, for any stolen items, which I believe violates the 4th Amendment since their wasn't a legitimate reason to search the car and their was no warrant. At the police station the male officer was still verbally abusive. He made inappropriate comments to my friends such as they were poor and they probably have bad parents. In addition, the handcuffs were too tight on the girls and the male officer refuse to loosen them. My friend has visible marks on her wrist a day after the arrest. Does she have a strong case against this male officer and his violation of her rights as stated in the 4th amendment? Her court date is in October what can I do to help her get out of this, and possibly turn this on the male officer? Any comments will be appreciated. Thanx
Congratsulations!!!
Your post is entered into the FA Dumbest Post of the Year contest.

Plese return in Jan. to see if you've won. :D

BelizeBreeze

grasmicc said:
In theory she could sue under civil rights act for the blatant illegality of the car search.
And of course, you were there and have proof of the poster's statements and witnessed the search of the auto right?
In practice, she has no remedy. If she hadn't been engaged in illegal activity prior to the search then she'd probably have an actual case here worth a few K.
Wonderful. And which box of cheerios did you get your law degree?
[/quote[
However, I can assure her that, in the future, she will be able to prevent similar violations of her rights by... not engaging in criminal activity.[/QUOTE]
Well duh!

grasmicc

"Wonderful. And which box of cheerios did you get your law degree?"

I'll make you a deal - you tell me where you got your J.D., I'll tell you where I got mine. K?

BelizeBreeze

grasmicc said:
"Wonderful. And which box of cheerios did you get your law degree?"

I'll make you a deal - you tell me where you got your J.D., I'll tell you where I got mine. K?
You are the idiot that told this poster she could sue under civil rights violations. Now Post here the exact cite under which this theif would sue.

:rolleyes:

grasmicc

42 USC § 1983

Like I said, where'd you get your J.D., bozo?

All I stated was that - in theory - when one is subjected to an unlawful search by the police they are entitled to civil relief under the law cited above. In practice, there are a lot of obstacles to overcome and a case like this would never survive the 12(b)6.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

grasmicc said:
42 USC § 1983

Like I said, where'd you get your J.D., bozo?
Nice try but a suit in equity must first have grounds . Like I asked before, where you there? Did you witness the search? What part of this posts provides grounds for a suit in equity?

Oh, I'm sorry, the poor baby's cuffs were too tight.

Get real.

grasmicc

As stated above:

"All I stated was that - in theory - when one is subjected to an unlawful search by the police they are entitled to civil relief under the law cited above. In practice, there are a lot of obstacles to overcome and a case like this would never survive the 12(b)6."

When I say "in theory", I'm taking for granted the truth of what the OP posted, and I'm taking for granted that basic evidentiary requirements could - somehow - be met.

Look, I realize this case won't make it anywhere and I stated that in my first post on the subject.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

Another proud Guam Law School graduate at work!

Not to derail this lovely 1983 discussion :rolleyes: but I'd also love to know where the 4th Amendment violation is (the "blatant illegality of the car search" you mentioned).

Keep up the retarded advice!

grasmicc

See Chambers v. Maroney, 399 U.S. 42 (1970). I don't feel like discussing this anymore. You clearly have nothing substantive to say.

Last edited:

Curt581

You Are Guilty said:
Another proud Guam Law School graduate at work!

Keep up the retarded advice!
He's been dropping smelly little packages in other topics, too.

:rolleyes:

To the original poster:

Sounds like a search incident to arrest... or... an inventory search for vehicle impoundment to me. Both are perfectly legal, and any contraband found would have been admissible.

Tell your girlfriends that the handcuffs were tight because they were new. They always stretch out after you wear 'em a while.

grasmicc

Edit: I took that cite from a Brennan dissent without checking the case. Big mistake - Brennan had mischaracterized the holding. You're right. Nonetheless, the case does lay down rules for when such a search is permissible, and this case doesn't meet the rules.

This isn't a search incident to arrest because the girls weren't in the physical proximity of the vehicle at the time the officers' arrived. Read the facts posted above.

Search related to impoundment opens up more interesting questions. We'd need to know whether the girls were given an opportunity to call to have someone else come pick up the vehicle (immediately), whether the owner of the store and lot demanded the vehicle be removed, and whether the police were aware of an appreciable risk of vandalism or theft to the vehicle (United States v. Staller, 616 F.2d 1284 (5th Cir.1980)).

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

grasmicc said:
The case held invalid the search of a vehicle after the suspects had already been taken into custody in an area that wasn't proximal to the vehicle.
Once police have probable cause to believe there is contraband in a vehicle, they may remove it from the scene to the stationhouse in order to conduct a search, without thereby being required to obtain a warrant.

''[T]he justification to conduct such a warrantless search does not vanish once the car has been immobilized; nor does it depend upon a reviewing court's assessment of the likelihood in each particular case that the car would have been driven away, or that its contents would have been tampered with, during the period required for the police to obtain a warrant.''

Michigan v. Thomas, 458 U.S. 259, 261 (1982). See also Chambers v. Maroney, 399 U.S. 42 (1970); Texas v. White, 423 U.S. 67 (1975); United States v. Ross, 456 U.S. 798, 807 n.9 (1982),Cardwell v. Lewis, 417 U.S. 583 (1974). Justice Powell concurred on other grounds;Cady v. Dombrowski, 413 U.S. 433 (1973); South Dakota v. Opperman, 428 U.S. 364 (1976). See also Cooper v. California, 386 U.S. 58 (1967); United States v. Harris, 390 U.S. 234 (1968). Police, in conducting an inventory search of a vehicle, may open closed containers in order to inventory contents. Colorado v. Bertine, 479 U.S. 367 (1987).

It is not lawful for the police in undertaking a warrantless search of an automobile to extend the search to the passengers therein. But because passengers in an automobile have no reasonable expectation of privacy in the interior area of the car, a warrantless search of the glove compartment and the spaces under the seats, which turned up evidence implicating the passengers, invaded no Fourth Amendment interest of the passengers.

Luggage and other closed containers found in automobiles may also be subjected to warrantless searches based on probable cause, the same rule now applying whether the police have probable cause to search only the containers or whether they have probable cause to search the automobile for something capable of being held in the container.

Rakas v. Illinois, 439 U.S. 128 (1978),United States v. Di Re, 332 U.S. 581 (1948). While Di Re is now an old case, it appears still to control. See Ybarra v. Illinois, 444 U.S. 85, 94 -96 (1979),California v. Acevedo, 500 U.S. 565 (1991) (overruling Arkansas v. Sanders, 442 U.S. 753 (1979),United States v. Ross, 456 U.S. 798 (1982). A Ross search of a container found in an automobile need not occur soon after its seizure. United States v. Johns, 469 U.S. 478 (1985) (three-day time lapse).

See also Florida v. Jimeno, 500 U.S. 248 (1991) (consent to search automobile for drugs constitutes consent to open containers within the car that might contain drugs).

Now, do you REALLY want to go round and round with me on this? You will lose. The U.S. Supreme Court in Chambers unlike all of the cited cases involved contraband, but in Chambers , 399 U.S. 42 (1970), the Court, without discussion, and over Justice Harlan's dissent, extended the rule to evidentiary searches.

Not shut the hell up when you don't know what you're talking about. I'm tired of teaching you law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">