• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Upcoming court date for public intoxication/drunkeness in New Orleans, Luisiana.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thereturnofjj

I was arrested last night and have a court date tomorrow in New Orleans Luisiana for public intoxication/drunkenness. I don't really know what to expect in terms of punishment or how I should prepare for my court appearance. I am not even from New Orleans, I actually live in New York, I am really just here for vacation. Any advice on how to proced would be greatly appreciated.

sandyclaus

I was arrested last night and have a court date tomorrow in New Orleans Luisiana for public intoxication/drunkenness. I don't really know what to expect in terms of punishment or how I should prepare for my court appearance. I am not even from New Orleans, I actually live in New York, I am really just here for vacation. Any advice on how to proced would be greatly appreciated.
Public intoxication in New Orleans is a municipal offense. That means that you will not be subjected to state or federal criminal proceedings or sentences for your offense. Instead, you are bound by municipal statutes and penalties. If convicted of public intoxication or drunk and disorderly conduct, you may face a fine and/or up to six months in Parish prison. Of course, since these are not state or federal felonies, your record will not have the stain of a felony conviction. But the fines imposed as penalties for these New Orleans municipal offenses can hurt. Additionally, any time spent in prison can disrupt your life, as you will miss work, potentially losing your job, as well as potentially alienating those closest to you.

OHRoadwarrior

The most logical approach appears to be hiring a lawyer to represent you and not making any incriminating statements. Motion for a continuance to obtain council. If they refuse, plead not guilty and obtain a lawyer. If you cannot afford an attorney, request a PD and plead not guilty.

davew128

Is anyone stunned to find out that there is a crime in New Orleans for public intoxication? I thought that it was mandatory to be intoxicated in public there. :D

OHRoadwarrior

Is anyone stunned to find out that there is a crime in New Orleans for public intoxication? I thought that it was mandatory to be intoxicated in public there. :D
I did not think it would improve OP's day if I asked if he meant he was cited for not being publicly intoxicated.:)

Just Blue

That was actually my first thought.

Are you stunned to know I agree with you?? :p

LdiJ

That was actually my first thought.

Are you stunned to know I agree with you?? :p
He had to be really, really, really drunk and possibly uncooperative...or things have changed dramatically there.

Two young women hanging outside of car doors on the opposite sides of the car puking in the street in New Orleans...30 years ago.

Cop: You a tourist?

LdiJ: Yes sir

Cop: Been to Pat O'Brian's tonite (the dozen empty hurricane glasses packed in the pretty box was probably a clue)

Cop: Had a little to much to drink?

Cop: Got anybody you can call to come get you?

LdiJ: Yes sir (lying through my teeth)

Cop: Ok, there is a phone over there in that bar, go call them.

Two people stumble over to the bar, order café au lait, sit there drinking copious cups until the cops decide they have something better to do. Stumble back to the hotel (it was a loooong walk) and hope that nobody steals the car.

Eventually go home, embarrassed. Prim and Proper Aunt Sue visiting Mom and Dad. Story comes out after Aunt Sue asks how many hurricane glasses I brought home. Aunt Sue then confesses that she and half dozen prim and proper people spent the night in the drunk tank in N'awlins...30 years before me...paid a fine and went home.

Laissez les bon temps rouler.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">