• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update on my criminal trespass one case....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ty0604

OREGON

I had a discussion with some of you regarding a case of mine recently and wanted to give an update. As a reminder, I was arrested for criminal trespass one and accused of entering a neighbors apartment at a time I was sleeping. We were waiting on video evidence from the apartment complex but after three set overs at court, it was determined that the apartment complex “accidentally” recorded over the video evidence. The video camera was located in a hallway separating our two apartments and would have shown that I didn’t cross the hallway during the time I was accused of doing so, the hallway was the only way to access the apartment. The DA offered me a deal, plead guilty and 24 hours of community service and it’ll be off of my record when I’m done with the community service. Tomorrow is my last day to take this offer. If I decide to go to trial then the offer is done and if I’m found guilty at trial then I’ll be looking at close to a $3000 fine, 10 days in jail and a permanent mark on my otherwise clean record. Trial would be a “he said/she said” deal and it’s my belief that the jury would most likely believe two college aged girls over me, one college aged guy. Supposedly they got a restraining order on me but I was never served with anything. Pretty sure the sheriff serves it to you but I could be wrong. Furthermore, why would they wait so long to get the restraining order? This happened on January 13th and I just heard about the restraining order about three weeks ago. I’ve since moved out of the apartment complex and now live across town from where the accusers live at.

So what do you think? Is it a good decision to take the deal and lie and say I did it just to end the whole situation? I hate saying I did something I didn’t do but it’s been stressing me out like no other.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OREGON

I had a discussion with some of you regarding a case of mine recently and wanted to give an update. As a reminder, I was arrested for criminal trespass one and accused of entering a neighbors apartment at a time I was sleeping. We were waiting on video evidence from the apartment complex but after three set overs at court, it was determined that the apartment complex “accidentally” recorded over the video evidence. The video camera was located in a hallway separating our two apartments and would have shown that I didn’t cross the hallway during the time I was accused of doing so, the hallway was the only way to access the apartment. The DA offered me a deal, plead guilty and 24 hours of community service and it’ll be off of my record when I’m done with the community service. Tomorrow is my last day to take this offer. If I decide to go to trial then the offer is done and if I’m found guilty at trial then I’ll be looking at close to a $3000 fine, 10 days in jail and a permanent mark on my otherwise clean record. Trial would be a “he said/she said” deal and it’s my belief that the jury would most likely believe two college aged girls over me, one college aged guy. Supposedly they got a restraining order on me but I was never served with anything. Pretty sure the sheriff serves it to you but I could be wrong. Furthermore, why would they wait so long to get the restraining order? This happened on January 13th and I just heard about the restraining order about three weeks ago. I’ve since moved out of the apartment complex and now live across town from where the accusers live at.

So what do you think? Is it a good decision to take the deal and lie and say I did it just to end the whole situation? I hate saying I did something I didn’t do but it’s been stressing me out like no other.
I think a few things.

Your question is beyond the scope of this forum.
You should be speaking with your attorney.
How would you expect a bunch of random internet strangers to make a decision like this for you?

Ty0604

Zigner, I’m sorry that you failed preschool reading so I’ll spell it out for you.

U-p-d-a-t-e
tr.v. up·dat·ed, up·dat·ing, up·dates
To bring up to date: update a textbook; update the files.
n. (pdt)
1. Information that updates something.
2. The act or an instance of bringing something up to date.
3. An updated version of something.

Say it with me, up-date. U-p-d-a-t-e

“So what do you think” was a rhetorical question. I know you’re sitting there going “huh? what’s that?” so I’ll define that for you. First, let’s learn how to spell it. Say it with me.... r-h-e-t-o-r-i-c-a-l

a : of, relating to, or concerned with rhetoric
b : employed for rhetorical effect; especially : asked merely for effect with no answer expected <a rhetorical question>

See “b.” Say with me, “rhetorical.” Okay if you’ve made this far I think you can advance to first grade reading now. Kudos!

quincy

Wow, how generous. Willlyjo shared his dictionary with Ty0604. ;)

Ty0604, it is generally not a good idea to admit to a crime you did not commit just to relieve stress - but your attorney is the best one to advise you.

My answer to your question, therefore, is the same as You Are Guilty's answer (although I reserve the right to change it on a whim).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">