• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

URGENT REPLY NEEDED RE: WARRANT CATCH 22 (loong)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born2RunRN

What is the name of your state? MO but warrant in FL

HI! I have a current warrant out in the state of Florida for a failure to pay my fines on a DUI case from 04. I have zero money and need to work, but my employer is going to run a background check and I am afraid the active warrant will prohibit employment, and if I cant work, I can't pay the fine. I need to know: 1) will the warrant show up on the background check? I assume so, but I thought that it may not because it is just for a failure to pay the fine 2) Is there anyway that I can get the warrant put on a "hold" or something if I promise to pay within my first paycheck?

Let me give you a bit of a history to this because I think I may have an unusual case. It is not a clear cut and dry situation that I just decided to not pay hte fines earlier. This may get a litle long, butI am hoping that someone can help me with all this information.

I received a DUI on Feb 29, 2004. I had been at a charity event fundraiser for breast cancer at a local nightclub in Florida. I was there with a fellow nurse (I am RN also), and two physicians from my hospital. Both of the doctors are anesthesiologists. I drank 2 drinks over a 3 hour time period and had a large meal while I was there. I had to work in the morning at 630am, so I was leaving early to get to sleep. I left the nightclub at 11pm, and I remember walking out the door of the nightclub, and my next recollection is waking up in a n orange jumpsuit lying on the floor of a jail cell!!! I learned that I had wrecked my car (twice) by hitting both sides of my car on guardrails. I also apparently took and failed a sobriety test, and had already appeared before the judge for arraignment prior to me waking up. I was very confused and in disbelief over this. After hearing this, my only concern was if I had hit or hurt anyone during all this. Thankfully, I had done no damage other than to my car. I spoke with the doctors I was with the previous evening and they said that it seems like I may have had my drink laced with something. At this point, 18 hours had passed and I was told that even on a drug screen, the half life of any drugs like that would already have been out of my system.

I accepted the charges and I ended up pleading no contest to the charge as I could not prove otherwise. I found out later tht the lawyer who represented me probably could have gotten the charges reduced to reckless driving. I dont know if that is true or not, but it didnt happen. I ended up with 1 years probation, community service and 6 month DL suspension, of which I was able to get a hardship license. I was also ordered to pay $950 in fines. Two weeks after the court date I had surgery on my shoulder and was not able to start community service yet. My PO said that was OK and I could do that later. My court date was in August as was hte surgery. I was paying the fines monthly in the mean time, but then in December, I got ill and was admitted to the hospital.

I literally spent over half of the year (in and out with multiple admissions) as a patient in the hospital. The doctors have been trying to find out what is wrong with me for over a year now, and they have finally decided for sure that I have an autoimmune disorder but which one specifically is still being determined. I have missed a lot of work and ended up having to file bancruptcy and had my car repossessed also.I am now currently staying with my brother in St Louis and I need tomove out of here ASAP.
I am trying to work as a travel nurse where they will pay for my housing and utilities and all of that. Hoowever, if the warrant shows up I may not be able to work, and I cant pay the warrant until I do work to be able to pay for it. Itsa vicious little circle.. :(
I dont have any family except for my brother and he is trying to support a wife and 2 kids on minimum wage so there is no cash for me to borrow, and I am down to like my last $50, soI really need to work.

If ANYONE has ANY suggestions or help, please post here,or send to my personal email which is [email protected]

Thank you so much for your time. I appreciate any help anyone can offer. This is just a bad situation and I just cant seem to find a light at the end of the tunnel.. :(

Denise B

Born2RunRN

That is another unfortunate part of the equation. Apparently at some time when I was hospitalized for 2 months straight, my PO changed and I did not get notice about that. I had alot going on medically and being sick and literally exhausted and spent many many hours in bed or in the hospital. This whole probation/fines, did inadvertantly get put on the backburner, and when I finally was able to get in touch with a probation officer I found out that mine was no longer there and they were not sure who had taken may case over. I have been given 3 or 4 names since then and none of them had me, so at this point, I really dont even know who my PO is anymore.
As far as court dates, I never really had any more scheduled after the sentencing, and I found out later that if I wasnt able to make my payments on time, then I was supposed to have reported to court on the 20th of each month that I hadnt paid. I never knew this, nor was that ever explained to me. I don't/didn't know how the whole process works. I have never been in trouble with the law before...and now, I am just lost. I did not purposely let it get to this point. Had I not gotten sick, this never would have happened. I would have had all the fines taken care of.

Born2RunRN

Addendum

I just spoke with my lawyer in Florida today, and he is telling me that even if I paid the $540 that I owe, I would still have a warrant that I have to take care of. He claims that I can't do anything from Missouri at all. He wants me to allow him to set up a court date and then wants me to fly down and go to court.

I have $40 to my name, a suspended drivers license and no means to get there or anything. I am currently staying with my brother since he came and got me from Florida so I would have a place to stay for awhile. I am estranged from the rest of my family and my brother wants me to leave his house also as i have now been here 3 months. The original plan was for me to stay here for a few weeks, get a job here and after I saved some money, I was going back to Florida. His house is too small, and they cant aford anothe mouth to feed and are hopingI leave ASAP. That is why I was going to take a travel assignment with a nurse staffing agency because they pay you a high salary, provide free housing and utilities. This would have been perfect to get back on my feet. The bad thing is that this background check shows an active warrant, therefore no work. I am just stuck, and I have my hands tied.

I have always been financially independent and on my own since I was 15 and I just dont know what to do, or where to turn.

I just have NO other resources and I dont know what to do. HELP!! ANYONE??

Born2RunRN

sorry, I am just trying to bring this thread back one last time to see if anyone else has any insight into this. I wont "rethread" it again after this....I just thought out of all the people on this forum, that someone could help.:confused:

Thanks
Denise

Gadfly

There's a big deal down here right now over this whole PO thing and how cases are handled so call the head person in charge in they county this is all about and get it straightened out and have your PO transferred to the state you are in.

Get a job flipping burgers or something to make the money come in. With your background and drinking problem it will be hard for you to keep a job as a nurse.

Born2RunRN

Umm, Gadfly....

First of all, I dont exactly have a "background", and I mostdefinitely do not have a drinking PROBLEM! I dont drink other than at most 1-2 times a year.
Also, as far as getting employment as a nurse, I have been employed prior to that arrest and am still employed AS a nurse. I am just on a LOA and looking to take a temporary travel position in the mean time. Having a DUI did not prevent me whatsoever from working as a nurse. I have even renewed both my Florida and Missouri license since the arrest. Both State Boards were given copies of my court documents and had no problem issuing me a renewal on my license.
My problem isnt the DUI. The problem is that I have a warrant out for me for being unable to pay my fines from the DUI because I was sick. Once I pay fines, warrant goes away, but I can't pay fines until I start working. I have a job 1000 miles away that I could work to get money to pay for this, but I have no money or resources to get back to that job to be able to work, so I was trying to work here instead.

So, whatever it was that you were IMPLYING about me, is way off of the mark. My nursing days are far from over for this. If you read the posts, you will see that. I need advice on ways of taking care of the warrant without cash, not on whether I can work or not.

Exley186

Gadfly, i've done a search on all of your posts, and you bring nothing but flame to the table. This isnt appreciated by anyone and you dont look any more intelligent.

ENASNI

Exley186 said:
Gadfly, i've done a search on all of your posts, and you bring nothing but flame to the table. This isnt appreciated by anyone and you dont look any more intelligent.

Look sister... Gadfly does not bring flame to the table, though I wouldn't mind some Bananas Foster.

You have some serious issues, you have some serious crap to clean up and you have some serious excuses to hide behind.

Get thee to a therapist that takes sliding scale, get thee to a Burger King@ that hires whiney people.

Get thee to a greyhound station and surrender.

seniorjudge

Born2RunRN said:
Umm, Gadfly....

First of all, I dont exactly have a "background", and I mostdefinitely do not have a drinking PROBLEM! I dont drink other than at most 1-2 times a year.
Also, as far as getting employment as a nurse, I have been employed prior to that arrest and am still employed AS a nurse. I am just on a LOA and looking to take a temporary travel position in the mean time. Having a DUI did not prevent me whatsoever from working as a nurse. I have even renewed both my Florida and Missouri license since the arrest. Both State Boards were given copies of my court documents and had no problem issuing me a renewal on my license.
My problem isnt the DUI. The problem is that I have a warrant out for me for being unable to pay my fines from the DUI because I was sick. Once I pay fines, warrant goes away, but I can't pay fines until I start working. I have a job 1000 miles away that I could work to get money to pay for this, but I have no money or resources to get back to that job to be able to work, so I was trying to work here instead.

So, whatever it was that you were IMPLYING about me, is way off of the mark. My nursing days are far from over for this. If you read the posts, you will see that. I need advice on ways of taking care of the warrant without cash, not on whether I can work or not.

I have a current warrant out in the state of Florida for a failure to pay my fines on a DUI case from 04.

Background AND a drinking problem!

Born2RunRN

You all have some serious issues! Excuse the crap out of me for thinking that I am posting to a forum where people are actually HELPFUL and not a bunch of Jackasses!!

If any of you that are posting with these smart ass comments would take a second to actually read and comprehend what I have written in plain English you would say that NONE of you has even addressed the questions I asked.

I have never not taken reesponsibilty for the DUI, despite the fact that I did have my drink laced with something. I just became unable to pay my fines because I subsequently became sick and hospitalized for the greater part of a year. I have hospital documentation for that along with physician statements, so I am not hiding behind excuses,just cold hard facts.

I obviously have come to the wrong forum for this. Unfortunately, I thought this forum was for legal advice and help, not judgements and snide comments. I am just appalled at how everyone talks to people. Until you have walked a mile in my shoes, or anyone elses that are posting on here, keep your smart comments to yourself unless you are ACTUALLY GOING TO HELP OR GIVE ADVICE TO THEM!!
Good day!

outonbail

Listen to what your spewing.

You spoke to a lawyer in Florida, where your case is evidentially hanging in limbo. He/she told you what you had to do. So what is it your wanting to hear?

"Hey no problem, go ahead and drive. If you get pulled over just show the officer this post and everything will be A-OK. This will be fine until you have enough money to take care of your legal problems. I sent word out and the world will now put everything on hold while you catch up!"

How's that?

The thing is, what your crying about isn't anything that hasn't been told to every judge in the country, dozens of times. Your situation is not unique, it's just YOURS! So YOU have to resolve it!

No one here is going to send you the money to take care of this, you have to find some way of getting to Florida on your own. Hitch hike if you must. If you have no money when you get there, you can do the time. It's not like your accomplishing anything while this is hanging over your head anyway.

If you want, go turn yourself in, go to a local police station and see if Florida will come pick you up. If they do, you'll probably end up being charged for the transportation they provide. If they don't come get you, then your back to finding another way to get there on your own.

Like your attorney said, you MUST go to Florida and appear before the judge in person to resolve this, it's that simple! There is no other wisdom that will make everything go away, so just do what your attorney advised and be done with it!

goodgrief

To OP,

You said you have been living with your brother in St. Louis now for 3 months? May I ask what you have done up to this point (3 months) to get your situation resolved? When did the warrant get issued? Had you worked since the warrant was issued? How did you get your license with an outstanding warrant?

Kane

What your lawyer told you is right. You have to appear in FL.

The judge will see that you haven't paid your fine, haven't done your community service, haven't been seeing your PO, and that you've moved yourself out of state.

You, or your lawyer, can explain that you've been having health problems.

At that point, the judge can either extend your probation, so you can do the things you originally promised to do, or he can revoke your probation, and sentence you to jail time.

Given the situation you've described, jail time might be your best option.

Born2RunRN

OK, this is my last post here, eveyone is a bit too angry for me here. I never in a million years would expect anyone here to pay my fines or tell me that everything is fine, just dont get caught. I am not freaking stupid. Basically all I wanted to know was, if considering the circumstances and my documentation from being in hospitals and such, if there was any way of possibly getting the warrant suspended or something for a brief period of time, like 30 days or so. Not because I am special and want to avoid the law or anything. I just didnt know if there was a motion that could be filed or anything that would stop the warrant temporaily until I can get the cash to deal with it. I really only need like 2 weeks of fulltime work for that as I make great money when I am working. The sole reason I even have these warrants is that I have not been working and was unable to pay these fines. I have been unable to work because I have been sick.

Yes, I have been in St Louis for 3 months. I have not done anything about them during that 3 months because I have been sick for over a year. I came to St Louis to get treatment and now I am well enough to work again. However, I dont have the funds yet to clear the warrant. It is as simple as that. How did I get my license? I dont have a drivers license, but I did get and renew my nursing licenses from both Florida and Missouri...I don't see any reason why I wouldnt have.

In addition though, upon speaking with my lawyer, he did tell me there was nothing to do other than "dont get caught driving" (which I am not driving) and get toFlorida and set up a date with the judge to appear before him. Even though I have been unable to find anything but grief in this forum, I have had the luck of finding someone in another forum that has steered me in the right direction, and the judge who has issued my warrant is currently reviewing my case and has copies of my documentation from physicians and hospitals and is going to render a decision or a plan to me long distance. I am in contact with him via email and telephone.That is really the only thing that I needed, I just did not know how to go about doing so on my own. So, for all of you that say the ONLY way to resolve it is to return to Florida**************WRONG!!! Yes, it is possible..all the jerks who yelled at me were all WRONG!!! WRONG!!! Its all in who you talk to and how you talk to them. I dont know the outcome yet, but I do know I havent had to go to Florida to be in contact with the judge.....so, what was that again...oh, right...the know it alls in here are WRONG!!! WRONG!! LMAO..bunch of jerks!

Thankfully, I found someone with a little knowledge and an ounce of compassion which is more than I can say for anyone here. Regardless, I am done with this forum, and all the pirhanas here can pounce on the next fresh meat that comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">