• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vandalism case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calico5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My son (18) was the victim of vandalism on Election Night. He had friends over in the backyard, one old friend who happens to be female brought her boyfriend (18). For some reason the boyfriend got jealous, ran outside and totally tore off the passenger side mirror to hmy son's 2006 Toyota truck. He then left. The girlfriend stayed and I (mom) called the sheriff. A sheriff deputy came to the house, talked to my husband, the girlfriend, my son (not me)...there was a report written and my son decided to press charges. He had never met this guy before and we didn't know what he was capable of doing. During this time, the girlfriend calls her boyfriend's mom and tells her what he did. She said "It's his problem, he'll have to handle it." Well, the DA is filing charges and obviously the vandal and his mom get the papers. She calls me (not once in over a month did they call us and offer to make amends, and we didn't know them from Adam) and tells me she'll pay for it and what can we do, can we drop charges...etc. I told her it was out of my hands. She said her son has never been in trouble before (my son said he has been in "Juve" and claims to be a "skinhead" (which totally sickens me. I told her I didn't want her or her son to give me or my son any money. I took her phone number, but I'm not going to call her back because:

#1: My son is the one who filed charges, not me
#2 Not once did they try to contact us
#3 She admitted that her son has a temper and when I told her that he must be strong because he tore the whole mirror unit off the truck she said that in a way being strong is good.

FINALLY...the question, should my son or I call the DA's office to let them know she called me (it was yesterday) ? We've already sent in the "Victim's Statement asking for restitution, order of no contact and our recommendation for anger management.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My son (18) was the victim of vandalism on Election Night. He had friends over in the backyard, one old friend who happens to be female brought her boyfriend (18). For some reason the boyfriend got jealous, ran outside and totally tore off the passenger side mirror to hmy son's 2006 Toyota truck. He then left. The girlfriend stayed and I (mom) called the sheriff. A sheriff deputy came to the house, talked to my husband, the girlfriend, my son (not me)...there was a report written and my son decided to press charges. He had never met this guy before and we didn't know what he was capable of doing. During this time, the girlfriend calls her boyfriend's mom and tells her what he did. She said "It's his problem, he'll have to handle it." Well, the DA is filing charges and obviously the vandal and his mom get the papers. She calls me (not once in over a month did they call us and offer to make amends, and we didn't know them from Adam) and tells me she'll pay for it and what can we do, can we drop charges...etc. I told her it was out of my hands. She said her son has never been in trouble before (my son said he has been in "Juve" and claims to be a "skinhead" (which totally sickens me. I told her I didn't want her or her son to give me or my son any money. I took her phone number, but I'm not going to call her back because:

#1: My son is the one who filed charges, not me
#2 Not once did they try to contact us
#3 She admitted that her son has a temper and when I told her that he must be strong because he tore the whole mirror unit off the truck she said that in a way being strong is good.

FINALLY...the question, should my son or I call the DA's office to let them know she called me (it was yesterday) ? We've already sent in the "Victim's Statement asking for restitution, order of no contact and our recommendation for anger management.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Sure. Let them know. It is inappropriate for them to contact the victim in an upcoming case directly.

It doesn't matter if they offered anything. They could have had the mirror replaced and you STILL could have pressed charges.

outonbail

You should probably tell his girlfriend to stay away from your home and family as well. She'll just end up being the reason for more trouble to come your way from this dirt bag. Plus she didn't show very good judgment bring this loser to your home to begin with.

calico5

thank you all for your sage advice...she is a nice girl, but she hasn't been here since. according to this mother, she is still dating her son....i fear for her safety. I'll call the DA tomorrow.

thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">