• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Seized-Should it be returned?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenyb

What is the name of your state? SC
My vehicle was seized when 1.1 gram of crack cocaine (1 rock) was found in my possesion. I was charged with distribution of crack cocaine and my vehicle was seized. I hired a lawyer and my case went to court. I found out the day of court that when the rock was sent to SLED for processing (verifying the drug, weight, etc.) that the report came back with a weight of 0.9 gram. It was my understanding that the vehicle was seized because the Narcotics officers weighed it on the scene at 1.1 gram and anything over 1 gram is considered distribution and warranted the seized vehicle.

My lawyer said that it was up to the Sheriff of our town whether or not the vehicle would be returned. This does not seem right since the weight was not over 1 gram after thorough SLED testing. Can anyone offer any advice to me on this?

I was charged in court with possession of crack cocaine and sentenced to 18 months reduced to 2 yrs probation. I understand and accept this but my vehicle should be returned under these conditions - I think. Please help...
Jenyb

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">