• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verdict via phone call??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CourtLyn

I was charged with assault/fighting with another due to a family fight. It is an emotional situation, with many people involved. Today was my trial. I chose trial by judge. Once all witnesses had testified, the prosecutor was done, the judge was having a hard time with a verdict. He said he had to think about it some more, and would deliver my verdict later via a phone call. Is this legal? Normal? I have still not heard from him, and court was 8:30 this morning. I'm a little baffled. Thank you in advanc for any advice or opinions!

PS
I live in Texas!

LdiJ

I was charged with assault/fighting with another due to a family fight. It is an emotional situation, with many people involved. Today was my trial. I chose trial by judge. Once all witnesses had testified, the prosecutor was done, the judge was having a hard time with a verdict. He said he had to think about it some more, and would deliver my verdict later via a phone call. Is this legal? Normal? I have still not heard from him, and court was 8:30 this morning. I'm a little baffled. Thank you in advanc for any advice or opinions!

PS
I live in Texas!
Its a bit unorthodox but its not illegal. The judge will also have to reduce the verdict to writing but there is no legal reason why the judge could not inform the parties by phone call as well.

latigo

I was charged with assault/fighting with another due to a family fight. It is an emotional situation, with many people involved. Today was my trial. I chose trial by judge. Once all witnesses had testified, the prosecutor was done, the judge was having a hard time with a verdict. He said he had to think about it some more, and would deliver my verdict later via a phone call. Is this legal? Normal? I have still not heard from him, and court was 8:30 this morning. I'm a little baffled. Thank you in advance for any advice or opinions!

PS
I live in Texas!
"Unbaffle" yourself, Tex! Not highly unusual.

Also, there is some hope in that the judge seems skeptical in weighing the weight of evidence as amounting to beyond a reasonable doubt.

Hopefully for your sake the charges are misdemeanor assault and battery and not inclusive of domestic violence. A conviction of the latter would be devastating to many of your currently enjoyed constitutional rights. I urge you to consult with your attorney regarding such.

CourtLyn

Ok, thank you!! I was taken back by it. Still haven't received a phone call. I hope that's a good thing!!

CourtLyn

It was a misdemeanor charge! And my first at that. I've made it 27 years without getting myself into any trouble. There really was no evidence, only hearsay. Their word against mine kind of deal. Everyone involved was charged with the same thing. It was with an estranged sibling and her in laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">