• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Victim of assault not being helped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbart1119

I am a 58 yr old male from Luzerne county, Penna. I was text by a ex-girlfriend 49 to open my door to talk. When I did, her juvenile son and his friend knocked me down and brutally attacked me. I was left on my floor bloody, face gashed, swollen, 2 black eyes (next day), back hurt and bruises all over from kicks and punches by the three. My back was hurt and could hardly walk for 3 days afterward.
I immediately called police, they took my statement and was treated by the Ambulance. I was recommended to go to hospital but do not have insurance. I knew their names, and a close address, that they were staying at(the son's friend mothers house). The ex g/f and her son are staying wherever they can and have no permanent address because they keep getting told to leave wherever they go mostly because of the son.
I was told by the police they are issuing warrants for their arrest and would be notified when they are picked up and given a court date. Well, this was 5 weeks ago and nothing yet. I called the local police last week w/ no return call. I called again this week w/ a promise to call me back w/ info. NO return call again. I called and left message to city manager, no return call. I even called police and told them what times and where they would be on weekdays!!!
I would like to know what to do. The mother was contacting me laughing in my face, nothing is happening. These people, because they have nothing, think they can get away with anything. The boy a week earlier beat another boy in the face right on Main st. giving him a black eye with nothing happening, because nobody called police.
I now have a 1 inch permanent scar above my right eye and my tail bone is still bothering me and sitting is uncomfortable.
How do I get these people to justice not only for me, but for their next victims.

CdwJava

You mentioned that warrants have been obtained ... that means that they will be looking to arrest them. However, as horrendous your attack might have been for you, they likely do not have the resources to have a team of officers sit and wait or hunt these people down. Most wanted fugitives are located on traffic stops or other law enforcement contacts and not as a result of targeted warrant sweeps. It might be that they arrest them in short order, or it might be that they arrest them months down the road - or longer.

Unlike TV which gives the impression that justice rolls along like a juggernaut on rails, it really doesn't. It is not uncommon for felony warrants to go unserved for weeks, months, and in some cases, years. You might have to be patient.

If you are not getting any return calls from the police department, perhaps you need to go to the police department and ask to speak to a supervisor or an administrator (a sergeant, a lieutenant, or higher ranking officer) and ask for information and to be kept in the loop.

aardvarc

I am a 58 yr old male from Luzerne county, Penna. I was text by a ex-girlfriend 49 to open my door to talk. When I did, her juvenile son and his friend knocked me down and brutally attacked me. I was left on my floor bloody, face gashed, swollen, 2 black eyes (next day), back hurt and bruises all over from kicks and punches by the three. My back was hurt and could hardly walk for 3 days afterward.
I immediately called police, they took my statement and was treated by the Ambulance. I was recommended to go to hospital but do not have insurance. I knew their names, and a close address, that they were staying at(the son's friend mothers house). The ex g/f and her son are staying wherever they can and have no permanent address because they keep getting told to leave wherever they go mostly because of the son.
I was told by the police they are issuing warrants for their arrest and would be notified when they are picked up and given a court date. Well, this was 5 weeks ago and nothing yet. I called the local police last week w/ no return call. I called again this week w/ a promise to call me back w/ info. NO return call again. I called and left message to city manager, no return call. I even called police and told them what times and where they would be on weekdays!!!
I would like to know what to do. The mother was contacting me laughing in my face, nothing is happening. These people, because they have nothing, think they can get away with anything. The boy a week earlier beat another boy in the face right on Main st. giving him a black eye with nothing happening, because nobody called police.
I now have a 1 inch permanent scar above my right eye and my tail bone is still bothering me and sitting is uncomfortable.
How do I get these people to justice not only for me, but for their next victims.
As Carl indicated, almost NO law enforcement agency has the manpower to actively go looking for persons with warrants. Serial killers, cop killers, and other multi-victim high intensity violent offenders might be an exception. But generally speaking, people with warrants are apprehended because they have a tail light out and get pulled over, or because they are attending a loud party where police are summoned, or are checked by a game warden for their fishing license, or some other "innocent" contact with police where the warrant is found. Municipalities simply don't have the funds to staff law enforcement to the levels needed for more aggressive pursuit of wanted persons, and taxpayers don't want to increase funding (ie higher taxes) to foot the bill, so this is where the process is stuck. On the plus side, persons with high levels of criminal behavior tend to come across police more often than "one time" offenders, and it sounds like these folks are a heap of trouble looking for a place to happen.

In the meantime, as the victim of a crime, you have rights. Part of those rights include the right to restitution, and access to apply for crime victim compensation for things like your medical expenses related to the crime. You can reach the Luzerne County Victim Services office at 570-825-1674 for assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">