• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

video/audio recording of POLICE with and without permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

profesao

What is the name of your state? Florida
I have grown up constantly beeing harrased by the police. It came to the point where I had a copy of the search and seizer Amendment in my wallet, because they would search my car for NO reason at all. And I would carry around a tape recorder in my pocket to try and get them to repeat things like "I'll burry you six feet under you f-ing fa-got." Yeah, JETX and others, that's why i needed to tape the cops... You got that in your thick head. For example you are driving to anywhere not breaking the law and you get the blue and red pulling you over. What do you say when they start searting your car?, well nothing according to you. you must be a cop or a lawyer that has not been thrown in jail for no f**king reason. Being a journalsim student I need to know if I have the legal rights to tape police officers. They are taping me when they pull me over, so why can't I tape them. Is there a right I have to videotape a police officer when I call him to my house for a domestic despute? And can I have an audio recorder in my pocket? Please help me I don't want to break the law, but I need to expose this extreme lack of professionalism. It would be nice to have a reference in the law stat. or something. Thank you.

Last edited:

JETX

Fla. Stat. ch. 934.03: All parties must consent to the recording or the disclosure of the contents of any wire, oral or electronic communication in Florida. Recording or disclosing without the consent of all parties is a felony, unless the interception is a first offense committed without any illegal purpose, and not for commercial gain, or the communication is the radio portion of a cellular conversation. Such first offenses and the interception of cellular communications are misdemeanors. State v. News-Press Pub. Co., 338 So. 2d 1313 (1976), State v. Tsavaris, 394 So. 2d 418 (1981).

P

profesao

Ok, great reply! I need to know about my right, if I tell them I am video recording them. ie the show COPS. Say for example I have the police come out on my 911 call and I say I'm going to video record this. They are video and/or audio recording me without my permission, doesn't that mean they are commiting a felony under the Fla. Stat. ch. 934.03. What do I have to do to legally "get away" (like the police) of video/audio recording them. They ARE the law, not ABOVE the law, I thought...

P

profesao

why would you?

Well,
When people get in trouble, they say, why didn't you call the police? So, what do you do when a girlfriend starts punching and throwing things at you... hit back or get a witness...

Last edited:
P

profesao

Am I on drugs?

Hey JETX,
I'm not the one repeating Pillsbury DoBoy Jokes. And the reason I want to vidoetape them is clear in the first thread. READ the first thread. Stop accusing me of being a criminal and answer my question. Don't ask me smart-ass questions like, "Why do you want to videotape a cop in the first place?" READ and find out why? Remember the kid being hit by the cops, he was video taped. I wonder why this was taped. was it a felony to tape this beating? Acording to you it is...

JETX

Tell you what... with your attitude, I don't have to do a damn thing for you. Your posts on this thread have bounced all over the place from some inane 'can I tape' question, to trying Haiku (the correct spelling), to even confusing a question that was asked by someone else as being from me. Therefore the 'are you on drugs' issue.

So, lets close this with a very simple, "KISS MY ASS!!!"
And I will even let you video tape it!!

Last edited:
P

profesao

Real Professional...

JETX said:
Prof: What kind of drugs are you on??
and you are still avoiding the question.

Last edited:
P

profesao

cracking me up

Yeah, it cracks me up too, that I asked a question and it still hasn't been answered. Can someone please read the threads and give me a professional answer. Please not JETX, he's getting a little confused on the things he already posted. I had to go back and quote what he quoted(that he denied.) and this too QUOTE]Originally posted by JETX
[B/] So, lets close this with a very simple, "KISS MY ASS!!!"
And I will even let you video tape it!! [/B][/QUOTE]
Real professional...
How about you beat the crap out of a kid and let me video tape it (like in CA) and we'll se what happens. According to you it's a felony to tape. That means the trials going on right now, in CA, are focused on the person behind the camera? Or the cops who beat the kid. Who is the Felon now? Rodney King?

Last edited:

JETX

"I asked a question and it still hasn't been answered."
*** What the hell are you talking about?? You have bounced all over this thread, first asking about your 'right' to tape WITHOUT notice.
That was answered.

You than asked a STUPID question about 'whipping out your camera' and could you do that. Of course you can. And the officer can tell you to stop. And if you don't, then you could be subject to arrest for failing to obey. Granted, you might have a defense to the charge, but you would be out a couple of thousand $$ in attorney fees.

You then went even further 'afield' and started demanding an answer and making false claims. I gave you the answer you deserve.... which is to "kiss my ass!"

No avoidance as you claim, was there??

"Please not JETX, he's getting a little confused on the things he already posted. I had to go back and quote what he quoted(that he denied.)"
*** More of your imaginary 'what-if' role playing game?? How about your giving the rest of us a clue as to what I denied when you provided a quote???
What, you can't support your statement?? No suprise here.

And let me help you with your confusion.
"How about you beat the crap out of a kid and let me video tape it (like in CA) and we'll se what happens."
*** What did you flunk US geography too?? Last I checked, Florida isn't anywhere near California.... and there laws are different.

"According to you it's a felony to tape."
*** That is not what I said. I only provided the applicable statute. Do you have another one???

"That means the trials going on right now, in CA, are focused on the person behind the camera?"
*** What trials?? If you are going to make claims, you need to be able to support them.... or is that a new concept to you??

"Who is the Felon now? Rodney King?"
*** Actually, Rodney King was a felon prior to his 'lesson'..... and in fact, was just re-arrested last week!! Yep, he has a rap sheet longer than your 13 year old arm!! And the officers were found NOT guilty in state court. They were later charged and found guilty in Federal court for violating King's civil rights. At least get the facts right!!

I suggest you read the following about the Rodney King incident:
"In many everyday incidents, police just move in and hit the suspect. In cases where you have white officers and a black suspect, it's often safe to say you've got a racial thing. That was not the case with Rodney King. Here they chased this guy for eight miles, they had stopped him, a female California Highway Patrol officer advanced on him with her gun drawn, which in the LAPD is considered a very dangerous tactic. Sgt. Stacey Koon of the LAPD ordered the CHP officer back and he took over this arrest. He then directed four officers to jump on King. King threw them off his back. He was sweating on a cold night, it was obvious he was drunk. He pointed at the sky, he called around, he made strange noises, he waggled his buttocks at the woman officer, all of these things. They suspected he was on PCP, and they knew he was strong.

It's the middle of the night. You have this guy acting very strangely. Koon did what he was supposed to do under LAPD doctrine -- they fire electronic darts of 50,000 volts. If you get hit by them, you don't get up for a very long time. King got up. They fired another volley, he gets up again. As the second volley is fired, George Holliday, this amateur cameraman, had his new camcorder that he was photographing everything with. He had been awakened by the noises, and the police helicopter and sirens. Just as Rodney King is charging toward Officer Lawrence Powell, he starts the video. This is the first three seconds of the video. It is not terribly clear, but it is obvious what King is doing. It is not clear whether he is trying to run over Powell, or whether he is trying to run by him to get to this park behind him. Neither of them knew where he was going -- King was too drunk to know, and Powell was too panicked to know.

Yes, Powell swings his baton, not as he has been taught -- in a power stroke that probably would have flattened King, and this thing would have been over -- but wildly, and he hits King. The defense thought he hit him in the chest or the arm. I am convinced he hit him in the head, but Powell was just swinging. Then the next 10 seconds after this are blurred on the video. They are blurred because the cameraman moves his camera to try to get a better view of the situation."
Source: http://www.salon.com/news/1998/03/13news.html
Also
http://www.courttv.com/archive/casefiles/rodneyking/

I can't wait until school starts again so that these morons will no longer be able to access the internet on 'daddys' computer during the day!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">