• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

videotaping in a public park

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stickhouse

What is the name of your state? Georgia
Just for fun I was videotaping people in a water park. I was standing in plain site and my camera was of course in plain site. But security did not like this, and accused me of 'invasion of privacy'. They took me to an office, took down my personal information, took my tape from me, and made me fill out a form agreeing that i would not reenter the park for a year. At the top of the form were the words 'criminal trespassing' They then walked me to my truck and took down my tag number.
My questions are: Was this 'invasion of privacy'? Did they have the right to take my tape? Can charges of any kind be filed against me?

stephenk

how old were the kids you were taping? Explain why an adult would go to a water park on their own just to videotape?

Did you have the permission of the people you were taping?

You have no legal claim against the park. Depending on what you taped you may face some charges. you can always write to the park and demand reimbursement for the $5 tape they took.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stickhouse said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia
Just for fun I was videotaping people in a water park. I was standing in plain site and my camera was of course in plain site. But security did not like this, and accused me of 'invasion of privacy'. They took me to an office, took down my personal information, took my tape from me, and made me fill out a form agreeing that i would not reenter the park for a year. At the top of the form were the words 'criminal trespassing' They then walked me to my truck and took down my tag number.
My questions are: Was this 'invasion of privacy'? Did they have the right to take my tape? Can charges of any kind be filed against me?

Aqualung - by Jethro (IAAL) Tull

Sitting on a park bench --
Eyeing little girls with bad intent.
Snot running down his nose --
Greasy fingers smeary shabby clothes.
Drying in the cold sun --
Watching as the frilly panties run.
Feeling like a dead duck --
Spitting out pieces of his broken luck.
Sun streaking cold --
An old man wandering lonely.
Taking time
The only way he knows.
Leg hurting bad,
As he bends to pick a dog-end --
He goes down to the bog
And warms his feet.

IAAL

stickhouse

They weren't kids, I suppose most were 15 - 30. I taped them walking by or on the water slides. I had intentions of enjoying the rides myself and didn't go there just to tape. I know i have no legal claim against the park, my questions are: Did they have the right to take my tape. And most of all, can they file charges against me?

stickhouse

My buddy & i are 26 years old.....and NO there was no rise in the Levi's ! But neither of those matter at all. Race, age, gender....none of that matters. From what i have found out so far, it is perfectly legal to videotape anyone in a public park and there isn't anything those security guards can do about it. (except ask us to leave) Though we may have been rude & inconciderate, we did break any laws. I also do not believe they had the right to take my tape, no more than they had the right to take our shoes or our shirts from us.

CdwJava

stickhouse said:
My buddy & i are 26 years old.....and NO there was no rise in the Levi's ! But neither of those matter at all. Race, age, gender....none of that matters. From what i have found out so far, it is perfectly legal to videotape anyone in a public park and there isn't anything those security guards can do about it. (except ask us to leave) Though we may have been rude & inconciderate, we did break any laws. I also do not believe they had the right to take my tape, no more than they had the right to take our shoes or our shirts from us.
You were at a water park? You had to pay to get in? In other words, a private amusement facility that can make it's own rules?

Yes they CAN prevent you from taping. And they can also kick you out. If they took your tape you can always call their office and try to get it back ... but if they refuse you'll have to decide if it's worth hiring an attorney for.

Sorry, but they have a right to refuse service. And if you re-enter they can have you arrested for trespassing.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">