• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violating Probation for Mip + Stealing Misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nuclear

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Michigan I am currently on probation for an MIP, in 1 month it is to be taken off my record, since I did my community service and paid the court fines. Just today I was charged with a misdemeanor theft on the lowest degree, a 30 dollar hat. I am concerned If I should get a lawyer for this, or to plead guilty or not guilty with circumstances. I have no prior charges or anything else than else. The Police let me drive home, but Said their is going to be a warrant for my arrest and to turn myself in and come to the court date. Whats the % I will do jail time? Thanks

I have probation were I just put my hand and 5 bucks in a machine 1 time a month for 1 more month and it was so pose to be taken off my record in March.

on 1/11/07 The police said I could go home, but their would be a letter in the mail saying their is a court date and a warrant for my Arrest in about a month and I should go down to the police station and plead gulity at the courts, money is so tight I dont know what to do.

Can I end up getting totally ****ed over?>

Like jail time from taking the 30 dollar hat, and even tho my probation for the MIP was so pose to be taken off my record, when will the misdemeanor for stealing go into effect?>

how long does a misdemeanor for stealing stay on your record? Should I get an attorney?

I am 19, my mom died of cancer a few years back and my dad left me when I was little So dealing with all this stuff by myself is hard and I appreciate any advice.

What is the worst case scenario and best case scenario?

thanks

jonny

stephenk

"So dealing with all this stuff by myself is hard and I appreciate any advice."

Stop stealing would be a start. You were caught this time but you know it wasn't the first time you stole something.

You are an adult. Misdemeanor charges remain on your record forever unless you take some affirmative action to expunge or seal your records.

You may get some jail time or you may get a fine and more formal probation.

Nuclear

Actually It was my first time stealing, I didnt even think of it as stealing because i exchanged an item without a senor for one with for an equal exchange.

Shouldnt of done it in the first place, your right.

I was wondering how does one go about expunging or sealing their record?

Thanks sir for atleast one reply.

alyed

advice

First of all, you are an adult and its time that you start thinking straight because like you have experienced you are by yourself.

About the 30 dollar hat. Did you return it? I do not think you will go to jail for it because is less than 200.00 but since you are in probation this could affect it and depending on the judge, you could end up doing time for the probation period.

My advise, do not take it too far, it will be best if you plead guilty because they could only make you pay the amount of the hat and some other fees. Even probably the store won't pursue the issue because it will cost them more than 30.00 to put attorneys an witnesses on the stand.

stephenk

"My advise, do not take it too far, it will be best if you plead guilty because they could only make you pay the amount of the hat and some other fees. Even probably the store won't pursue the issue because it will cost them more than 30.00 to put attorneys an witnesses on the stand"

You know your post makes no sense at all. Do you really believe the store puts on the criminal trial? In addition to the criminal charges that the State prosecutes, the poster will most likely get a letter from the store he stole from requesting civil fines of a few hundred dollars.

Nuclear

Well this is what happen in short.

Hat A was red, and hat B was blue, same hat same price, 1 hat had a sensor, and the other didnt.

Took the hat without a a sensor and exchanged it for the one with a sensor for an equal exchange, the LP guys took the hat back, and put the receipt in a shreeder.

Yeah they said i would be getting a letter in the mail in about a month for the cost of the hat, for like 400$

Police guy told me to go home, and said in a month I would get a letter saying to turn myself in for surrender for something like that.

Is it possible since its my first and last retail theft misdemanor for them to not put it on my record? Because I pretty much wont be able to get anytype of good job right?

Thank you again everyone for all your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">