• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Virginia Pubic Intoxication -- Arrest w/ out any sobriety tests...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Melquiades

Hello to all out there...

I'm a 19 year old male in Southern Virginia, who was picked up last night for public intoxication and spent the night in jail. Considering it was my first time in jail, I would have been more scared if I was not so raging angry at the entire process and the fact that I was very clearly not intoxicated..

While walking only a hundred feet from my apartment Saturday night, I was accosted by two cops who proceeded to stop me and ask me a series of questions. They asked if I had been drinking (I had 1/2 a bottle of wine 4 hours ago from then...) and I told them the truth. They asked me a few more details about my name, birth, etc.. and then stated they were arresting me for public intoxication. I couldn't believe that I was being arrested for something I clearly wasn't (if I had any alcohol in me from the wine, it was decreased to a negligable amount...).

I asked what proof they had, and the main officer said that my eyes were bloodshot, speech slurred and that was all he needed. I told them that I wanted to take a sobriety test, but they refused to give me one and I spent the night in jail.

Now while I was being a smartass to the cops and walking around late at night, I know very well that I wasn't drunk. However, is there anything I can do in court to have this noticed and question the officer's call that I was drunk based solely on the bloodshot eyes (it was 1 in the morning and in a not well-lit area, so I don't know how well he could see my eyes) and the slurred speech (Which also seemed to be based on one or two verbal hesitations I made from being nervous of talking to them).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am always willing to accept the consequences of my actions, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let this hurt my public record when it was a completely false charge. Thanks.

M

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">