• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walmart Civil Recovery Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bugly

What is the name of your state? Ohio. My girlfriend and I were caught shoplifting at Walmart and went to court and we both plead guilty. The judge reviewed the case and decided that she was not guilty and let her go. He is waiting 90 days for my sentencing so I don't know what my punishment is. We both then recieved a civil recovery letter from Walmart for $200.00. Should she pay it even though she was found not guilty? If she does is that like an admission of guilt and open her up to future litigation? Should I pay mine also even though I'll be getting fined when I go to court in 90 days? It seems like they are recovering money hand over fist. The total stolen was $85.00 and they are asking for $200.00 from me and $200.00 from her and then I suppose they will get a cut of what the judge will fine me. The public defender told me to throw the letters right in the garbage because they are just trying to suck more money out of us. My reaction to that is easier said than done. Anybody have any firsthand knowledge on what we should do. I find it hard to believe Walmart will just let it go.

BelizeBreeze

Wal-Mart will not 'just let it go'. And it doesn't matter if you or your girlfriend were found guilty or not. Being found not guilty does not mean that you didn't attempt to steal.

either pay the costs or not. That's up to you. But I guarantee you Wal-Mart will not forget and if you try to contest and they win, you'll owe them MUCH more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">