• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walmart Shoplifting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JETX

Lorane said:
notbeingpaid,
Are you using multiple names on the forum. You and at least 2 other people, all with the same type of responses, do very little to help others. You spend all you time belittling others.
How about you providing ONE link to any of your posts where you provided ANY help to anyone!!!
Since I just reviewed your post 'history', I can safely say, you cannot.
So, quit your bitching and go find someone else to pester.

My son had something similar to this happen to him. He went into a store to buy some groceries and tasted a strawberry out of two different baskets. After he paid for the groceries and started to leave he was arrested.
And let me guess... you find absolutely NOTHING wrong with that, huh??

He went to court, never been in trouble before or since, and was fined and sentenced civic duty.
Gee, is that 'kind spin' on the FACT that he was found GUILTY of committing a criminal act. Another wonderful testament to your parenting ability, huh??

One location for this civic duty was the public library in our town. He called the library and they told him they no longer involved in the program. He called the court house and told them of the story. They lady at the court house stated that she would get back with him.
And when they didn't get back to him, I guess you just figured, "DUH, Oh well". Can you really be that stupid??

He was 15 at the time and two later he moved to a different city. Coming back home to visit, he and some friends were stopped by our city police officer.
Hmmmmm... I think I see a pattern here. He steals from a store and is found guilty. Then, he just ignores the court order. And finally, he is just co-incidentally "stopped by our city police officer". Seems like he is being 'handled' by the police an awful lot, in a short time, huh??

They ran a check on his license and found a warrant for his arrest. He was arrested, a bond was posted. They told him that he would be notified of the court date. He went back to the city where he lived.
So much for you teaching him responsibility and accountability for his actions, huh?? Your 'parenting skills' seem to leave a lot to be desired.

Two months go by and he calls me to see if I had heard anything and he also call the court house once during that time. So I call the court house and they tell me that a warrant is issued for his arrest again.
Okay, so here he is, presumably still a teenager, with a conviction, a traffic stop and TWO warrants for his arrest. I bet you are so proud!!

To make a long story short, I hired an attorney, both bond monies were returned and the arrest removed from his record.
That certainly doesn't mean that they didn't happen.... or excuse his stupid and irresponsible actions though, does it???

In our state, I was told that they had to be leaving the store with the merchandise, in order to be arrested.
Gee, and did you expect him to just puke it up at the register?? Of course, once he has eaten (or otherwise destroyed) the other persons property, his fleeing the scene is irrelevant. Or can't you even figure that out??

I also think you have a good argument about the people who wear the shoes to the counter and the people who are eating the candy bar before paying for it. Good luck.
Gee, the difference here is in your own post.... THEY PAID FOR IT!!

I asked earlier if you were really that stupid. The latter part of your post removed all doubt. :D

notbeingpaid

Lorane said:
notbeingpaid,
Are you using multiple names on the forum. You and at least 2 other people, all with the same type of responses, do very little to help others. You spend all you time belittling others.
This is the only part of that dumbass reply I'm going to respond to. I work at Wal-Mart, I'm a single mother and I'm going through college. Since Wal-Mart profit shares, your stupid kid is taking from me, not some faceless corporation. I'm not multiple names on this forum, I came here over a specific issue and that has been resolved. If you read my first couple of responses to your post, I WAS being helpful, you just didn't like the answer. Your posts would indicate that you are hell-bent on having everyone else pay for what your kid has done, instead of either you, or her. You are just a typical @sshole with an insane sense of entitlement, and it looks like you are passing those wonderful values onto your children. No wonder you have raised two thieves.....

Last edited:

garynpj

Not being paid,
I can see why you're a single mother, and everyone should feel REALLY sorry for your kid. The biggest thieves in Walmart are their workers. They're fired all the time... Don't you feel big for working at Walmart?

LMAO

and didn't you know that cusing someone out like that can get you in trouble???? Who's the dumb one now...

notbeingpaid

You are really determined to have a personal fight with me. Oh well, you aren't worth my time. Good luck with your thief child :rolleyes:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The long and the short of it is that people do NOT put merchandise that they are planning to pay for up their sleeves. You know that your daughter had the intent to steal that tongue ring, yet you're trying to weasel her out of it. That's rather despicable.

garynpj

Stealth2 and notbeingpaid you belong together :) ... And sorry but I'm not childish enough to get into personal "fights". This was my post, I didn't try to crawl up yours.

I'm looking for advice from real people that know more than how to be rude.

Is there anyone else out there with some info about actually having to be leaving a store to have to pay the penalty for shoplifting???

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You don't have to be leaving the store. If there is an indication of the intent to shoplift, that is enough to be stopped and searched. Like your daughter was. Face it - she had an empty package and the merchandise up her sleeve. That's pretty cut and dry that she planned to steal it.

notbeingpaid

I'll make this simple:

You should immediately contact the ACLU, because you definitely have grounds for a multi-million dollar law suit against Wal-Mart. It was very unethical of them to stop your idiot child from taking items without paying for them. You should also contact Congress, they have been looking for a case like yours to use as an opportunity to expose to brutal treatment of thieves in our country. How can we expect people to actually pay a judgment when they get caught? Of course you should refuse to pay the $200 because your child is special enough that Wal-Mart will not prosecute her, and there will be no accountability on your part for her actions. The entire world understands that since you are a newly single mother who cannot afford $200, your daughter should be allowed to take whatever she wants from whoever she wants. Everyone is cheering for her! With any luck, Wal-Mart will sponsor a special event for shoplifters in her honor when this is over. They really do need to learn that people like you and your child should be allowed to take small items, and destroy their property without penalty. They do owe it to you, after all.

Or, you can face reality. Your child committed a crime. Since she is not yet 18 years of age, YOU are responsible for her behavior. You can teach her responsibility right now by paying the fine and having her work for you to pay you back, or you can teach her more irresponsibility and keep blaming the rest of the world for your own failures. Either way, you still owe the fine and she is still guilty of shoplifting.

garynpj

the merchandise was still in the package, and barley open. Not enough to actually take the ring out of the package.

when I worked security, we had to watch the person to see if they would actually pay for their items, before we could approach them even. This has been a few years ago though, and in a different state.

This is why I can't understand how you can "attempt" to shoplift. I was trained then that you either do or you don't... They were innocent until trying to pass the registers at least... We'd see people putting things in their pockets or even in their pants and still pay for it.

I'm not trying to argue... and I'm sorry

We're calling where the fine has to be paid today, and my daughter wants to talk to them about the whole deal. She wants to pay the fine if they will let her make payments, and we both want the police report to read true.

Happy Trails

garynpj said:
Stealth2 and notbeingpaid you belong together :) ... And sorry but I'm not childish enough to get into personal "fights". This was my post, I didn't try to crawl up yours.

I'm looking for advice from real people that know more than how to be rude.

Is there anyone else out there with some info about actually having to be leaving a store to have to pay the penalty for shoplifting???
You don't have to be leaving the store. You don't have to be leaving the store. You don't have to be leaving the store. You don't have to be leaving the store. You don't have to be leaving the store. You don't have to be leaving the store. You don't have to be leaving the store. PERIOD

notbeingpaid

The authority of Wal-Mart security ends when the person leaves the property. The police are not going to chase a person down over something like a tongue-ring, but they will take care of it if security has all of the information together and they have her there. I don't know what the policy use to be, I only know what it is now. Loss prevention is exactly what it sounds like. It is a way to prevent loss, not to wait until it is too late to do anything about it.

I'm widowed, so I understand how stressful it is to instantly find yourself as a single parent. That was the reason I took the time to answer your post in the first place. If it were my child I would pay the fine and have her work for me in order to reimburse me. When my youngest was about four, she stole a lipstick. I was buying one for my oldest daughter and I told her she could not have one because of her age. She wasn't old enough to understand shoplifting, but she was old enough to learn how wrong her actions were. I took her back to the store, and made her tell them what she did. I paid for the item, then I took her home and made her do age appropriate work to pay me back for it. We laugh about it now, but it put things in a new light for her and made a permanent impression on her, and her siblings at a very young age.

logain721

Ha, I see nothing wrong with shoplifting to be honest with you, These huge companys seem to gain profet off it even if they dont recieve payment from the shoplifter to pay for there time/damaged goods. They can just use it as a tax write off. So seriously, who's getting hurt!! I have done more than my share of shoplifting and until recently I was never caught. One store has been sending me threats for over a year now, but it seems to me there isnt much they can do. Sure they can take me to civil court but hell what good is that going to do if I fail to appear in court, or just move out of state. Would just mean another warrant against me.

But imo parents arent to blame for there childrens actions after a certian age. My father/mother has had no influence on what I have done in the past. I just did it of my own free will. You think if a parent knew there child was even going to think of shoplifting they would let there child out of there sight??? So some people that insist on blaming the parents need to seriously sit down and rethink there whole warped oppinion.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
WHat you also need to realize, a$$hole, is that stores simply pass the cost of your stealing to the rest of us. So *I* am paying for the things you decide you can have for free. Someday they'll catch up to you - and you'll get to meet Bubba.

BelizeBreeze

logain721 said:
Ha, I see nothing wrong with shoplifting to be honest with you, These huge companys seem to gain profet off it even if they dont recieve payment from the shoplifter to pay for there time/damaged goods. They can just use it as a tax write off. So seriously, who's getting hurt!! I have done more than my share of shoplifting and until recently I was never caught. One store has been sending me threats for over a year now, but it seems to me there isnt much they can do. Sure they can take me to civil court but hell what good is that going to do if I fail to appear in court, or just move out of state. Would just mean another warrant against me.

But imo parents arent to blame for there childrens actions after a certian age. My father/mother has had no influence on what I have done in the past. I just did it of my own free will. You think if a parent knew there child was even going to think of shoplifting they would let there child out of there sight??? So some people that insist on blaming the parents need to seriously sit down and rethink there whole warped oppinion.
And maybe you should have used some of your shoplifting proceeds to take spelling lessons. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">