• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walmart shoplifting policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TIMMY12

Hello,

I work for a macdonalds inside walmart and recently we had cops come in and search our store and they found DVD cases with the disk gone. Someone that worked there called and said they found stolen items. My uncle is the manager and he told me that they have camera footage of me and him taking dvd's inside the macdonalds but not out of walmart so my question is, Can walmart prosecute us if they didn't catch us going out the door with anything? I have taken DVDs in and paid for them after I got off work but I did not ever take anything out unpaid for. Someone else who is working there must have been taking things in but stealing them and leaving the box hidden in places nobody looked and now they are blaming us to get themselves out of trouble. They found about 23 DVDs. This happened 3 weeks ago and no cops have talked to me or my uncle about it but have talked to other employees asking them if they have seen us steal anything and they said no! I'm really worried about this and would appreciate any advice. How can they charge us with anyting if there is no witness or footage of us leaving the store with anything unpaid for? Thanks, tim

State Laws

In many states just act of removing the DVDs is a crime. Check your local laws. Taking them into McDonalds may also be a crime as McDonalds is NOT owned by Walmart or vice versa. When you took merchandise into McDonalds you (in theory) left store with merchandise and thus committed a crime. Your trying to find an out for a wrong you did indeed committ!

TIMMY12

I have seen walmart customers and employees bring items into macdonald's before they paid for them so how can they blame only us? I am not looking for a way out, I told you I have taken things in there before but not out of the store unpaid for. Should I get a lawyer? thanks, tim

agreed

It was but an example but these sam eperson you use for example have not remove product from its containers and keep items in common area not back! Far as Attorney goes as I and many others have repeatedly said when your faceing criminal charges it is always advisable to seek an Attorneys advice

video

If there is video footage of theft your lying about your innocence. However you have not been accussed or arrested. Since it is unclear if your telling the truth your best actions are to just wait.

fairisfair

The dvd's could have been taken by other employees.
OMG YOU yourself say in the first post that they have video surveillance of YOU and YOUR
UNCLE taking the DVD's into the mcdonalds. For crying out loud did you honestly think that just because it is located inside the walmart that you would not been stealing?? So if I just go into walmart and start putting on makeup that would be okay? oh I guess so as long as I wash it off before I leave huh? How about eating my way through the candy aisle. And while I am at it, I'll just go ahead and use a crockpot to cook dinner for the kids before I leave. Really, there can not be two people THAT stupid in the same family. :rolleyes:

TIMMY12

Theren is no video footage of my taking anything out of dvd cases, maybe video of me taking dvd's into the store. I didn't know anyone was stealing dvd's if I knew that was going on I would have been more careful but I didn't know. How long do they keep footage recorded? None of the dvd's I took where found becuase I took them home but if they have footage they probably can't tell what titles I took inside the Macdonald's. Do you think they have enough without a doubt proof to charge me? I know it looks bad becuase I was taking dvd's inside but I was paying for them later, I just didn't think that this would happen and now I look guilty. Thanks for your advice, Tim.

TIMMY12

Fairisfair

You are acting like I took the DVD's out out of the case inside walmart and took the discs into Macdonalds but I didn't. If you put makeup on inside the store it's different from what I did. I just took them inside and paid when I got off.

CdwJava

I don't believe you posted your state. But, in most states, thye crime can be complete without leaving the front door to the business in question. The fact is you DID steal the DVDs . It would appear that they have tape of you taking the DVDs into the McDonalds and now recovering DVDs ... YOU do the math!

Even if they cannot charge you criminally, Wal-Mart could make a civil demand (and if it qwent to court they'd probably win), and you could - and likely will - be fired.

- Carl

Hello,

I work for a macdonalds inside walmart and recently we had cops come in and search our store and they found DVD cases with the disk gone. Someone that worked there called and said they found stolen items. My uncle is the manager and he told me that they have camera footage of me and him taking dvd's inside the macdonalds

Your own post says you took DVDs into Mc Donalds make up your mind

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">