• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walmart Theft Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

denversox15

Hello, I am from Waterbury Ct, my friend was recently arrested at Walmart for attempting to shoplifting 2 DVDs totally the cost of 16 dollars. I have heard that Walmart won't prosecute anyone for attempting to steal less than 16 dollars worth. He did rip off the packaging, but does that matter. Just looking for some advice before his court date. Please get back to me soon.
Marcus

CdwJava

If he has a court date, then it is no longer in Wal-Mart's hands, it is in the hand of the prosecutor. Your friend needs to speak to an attorney.

racer72

Your friend is also going to get a letter from a lawfirm demanding he pay a civil penalty, this will be on top of any other penalty he receives in court. This amount can be up to $500.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If Walmart does not press charges in such a case, then who is the complainant? Who bothered calling the police? Obviously, a Walmart employee did.

If Walmart didn't want to prosecute then the matter would have been dropped already. I think you heard wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">