• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wants and warrants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mhorvath

Can anyone tell me what the difference between a "want" and a "warrant" is? I've looked on every legal terminology site I can find, but I can't find that. Thanks!

Bravo8

We often use the term "want" in regards to someone we (the police) are looking for, and generally have the requisite PC to make a warrantless arrest.

A "warrant" is obviously issued by a court, and used in this sense, I assume you mean an arrest warrant.

When stopping someone that just seems "squirrel-ly", we will often check "local wants and warrants" in addition to checking their wanted status through the NCIC system.

M

mhorvath

follow up question...

If someone is being held in one county for a want in another county, how long can he be held before he must be released? I thought there was a time limit on such things, but I may be mistaken.

Background here is as follows: Husband travelled to the state of FL to take care of an old (7 year old) warrant, posted the $1000 bond there, but is being held due to a want in another county. It's been 4 days now with no information being given to my husband, and no visit from attorney, and still no transfer to the other county. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">