• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

exmilman

What is the name of your state?NC but case in Florida.

I was informed tonite by a friend that I have an active warrant in the state of Florida. He gave me a site to go to and see what it was for and all it says is

Offense--Public Order Crimes
Marion county sheriffs office

It also has an agency case number and a warrant number and says the warrant was on 03/10/1995 does anyone know what a public order crime is and if not how would I go about finding out exactly what this charge is? I am a single parent of 4 children and there is noway I can go turn myself in if there is going to be jail time with it. However if I can find out what it is for exactly I could hire a lawyer to try for some kind of plea with no jail time.

So does anyone know if there is a way to find out on the internet what this charge would be?

exmilman

Btw

I can have my mother watch the kids for a few days while I go down to take care of this but if I am looking at any jail time longer than that I have to try for a plea first. The only thing I was ever arrested for in Marion county was a driving on a suspended license so it has to be something connected with that.

Some Random Guy

Well, what was the deal with the suspended license? Did you go to court? What was the sentence? Did you fail to fulfill the terms of the sentence?

Your warrant is probably for a failure to appear. But nobody but you knows for sure.

exmilman

I did

60 days in one of the work camps there as it was a second offense. I also thought I had paid all fines associated with it. I joined the military when I left there and did 4 years and this never came up on anything. I had no problems getting my License in NC or anything.

HomeGuru

exmilman said:
What is the name of your state?NC but case in Florida.

I was informed tonite by a friend that I have an active warrant in the state of Florida. He gave me a site to go to and see what it was for and all it says is

Offense--Public Order Crimes
Marion county sheriffs office

It also has an agency case number and a warrant number and says the warrant was on 03/10/1995 does anyone know what a public order crime is and if not how would I go about finding out exactly what this charge is? I am a single parent of 4 children and there is noway I can go turn myself in if there is going to be jail time with it. However if I can find out what it is for exactly I could hire a lawyer to try for some kind of plea with no jail time.

So does anyone know if there is a way to find out on the internet what this charge would be?

**A: you need to go in person to the nearest police station and simply request free research.

HomeGuru said:
**A: you need to go in person to the nearest police station and simply request free research.
Right and do this only if you want to return to JAIL and see what the charges could be in a couple of weeks -- Great Advice....

jlundquist1

If you're in NC and the warrant is out of Florida you might try and find out if the issuing agency will extradite. If they won't I wouldn't worry unless you go back to FL. Either way there should be no reason why you can't call Marion County with the case number and ASK THEM what the warrant is for and how you can take care of it.

Since an arrest warrant has been issued it's unlikely, even with an attorney, that you'll be able to avoid at least stepping foot in a jail. You might see if you can hire an attorney and have them work out a "walk through" (at least that's what we call it here), where you have a bond set before your're arrested. Then you could simply turn yourself in, get booked, and bond out immediately. Depending on the jail it could be done in a few hours.

Find out what the charge is and get an attorney.

exmilman

actually I dont

outonbail said:
Do I detect a bit of uncertainty in this statement?

I think the poster has a good idea what the warrant is all about......
I called Marion county sheriffs office and this is what I was told.

The warrant says 89 days no bond or until proof of complaintant of above order

I asked the person I talked to at the sheriffs office what "proof of complaintant of above order" was and he said he had no idea as he had never seen that before. I have to call Public Defender in the morning and see what they can find out. Person at sheriffs office also told me he could not tell exactly what the original charge was.

They do that to bend ya over..... That way there is no bond before you go and see the judge which could be a few days or a week (89 days means that you could do that much time before they let you go). You need to hire an attorney who will take care of that for you. A public defender (depending on the person) is too busy or won't care enough to try and help you out cause most people they defend are in JAIL anyway**************

stilen621

RedemptionMan said:
They do that to bend ya over..... That way there is no bond before you go and see the judge which could be a few days or a week (89 days means that you could do that much time before they let you go). You need to hire an attorney who will take care of that for you. A public defender (depending on the person) is too busy or won't care enough to try and help you out cause most people they defend are in JAIL anyway**************
I agree stay away from the public dumptrucks office, get a good lawyer instead. Pay a little now or pay alot later! just my 2 cents worth

jlundquist1

B O L O G N A they don't know what the original charge was. They're charging you aren't they? Keep in mind who you talk to when you call. If you call their main number (or the number attached to the warrant) you're probably talking to a dispatcher who most likely can't find out what it is for. I'd wait till business hours, call and ask to speak with their records div, and see what they can tell you. If that doesn't work I'd ask to speak to the officer assigned to the case, and if at a very last resort you could file an open records request and ask for the whole case file.

Don't get me wrong....you're GOING to need an attorney no doubt. You just don't need to hire one to tell you what you're charged with.

exmilman

Thanks

I know I need a lawyer. I called the number off of thier website for marion county sheriff so I probably did get some flunky who just answers phones. I will know tomorrow morning though cause I'm gonna call first thing.

exmilman

Update

I got ahold of the DA's office in Marion County this morning. Here is what I was told.

The warrant is a misdemeanor commit order for failure to appear. The judge in this county allows the DA to drop all warrants if the fine is paid. So all I have to do is either mail them a money order for $441.50 or stop in and pay it on my way thru town.

I sent them a money order today return receipt and they said they will send me my form I need to reestablish my license in Florida.

She said most judges in Florida will do this on a failurre to appear warrant. Just in case anyone else has this problem. I suggest calling the DA in the county where it is first because once they pick you up the deal is no more. Then you have to pay the fine and do the time.

Apparantly when I did my 60 days for driving on a suspended I also had another ticket that I did not pay and did not appear in court for. I swear this was 10 years ago and i dont remeber any other tickets but she said it will be on the paperwork they send me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">