• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warrant ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeca.jelena

WARRANT-can they do this?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
My mother flee the law six months ago. I am 22 and have custody of my brother and sister (8 and 9). Police is coming at odd times to search the house. Her name is not on te lease, she has not been here for at least six months. Does the police have right to do this? Ijust want to go on living with my sibblins without being intrude on any time they feel like it.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Thank you for trying to help. I did let police in many times, but it is affecting us all: my sibblings would not sleep in their room, they would not go to the bathroom if I am not waiting outside the door. My girfriend has been a chump through all this, but it is hard. Last time they were here I did ask for warrant. I never did that before. they did have one, but not with this address.
imagine: 11:30 pm, falling asleep after aling day, have to wake up at 6:00am and there is a banging (not knocking) on the door. I do not want anyone breaking the door. I can't afford buying a new door, and more important : what about affect that would have on children? I do not want them thinking that cops are enemies.

Last edited:

Next time they come, just don't answer the door. Or at MOST tell them through the locked door that you do not talk to police and ask them to go to a closed window and hold a warrant up to it so you can read it through the glass or have their dispatcher call you to explain why they are there. But as a general rule, don't ever talk to a cop, and don't ever open a door for a cop if you didn't call them. Let THEM open it by force.

If the cops had a right to be in your house they won't knock at all or maybe as a courtesy they'd knock once, as they are breaking down the door.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Wonderful advice ... don't talk to the cops and make them break in the door. :rolleyes:

What you need to do is contact the agency involved. Speak to a supervisor or someone in investigations. Tell them that mom is gone. If you have it, tell them where she is. If you do not, then tell them you do not know. But, do not LIE to them.

Until they are satisfied that she is not there, they can keep coming and asking about her.

- Carl

dave33

If you do not feel comfortable than you can ask for a warrant. You can also make no statement or tell them you don't know where she is. Contact the department and ask to speak to the supervisor for that shift. If they contnue to come back file a formal complaint. I think it is important to remember your siblings. Sounds like your already in a tough situation and exposing them to more stress won't be beneficial to them. Try and resolve this cordially, your in no position to go to war with the local p.d. Be respectful and explain to them that she's not there and you have no information. You're primary concern is the children, just remember that when handling this situation.

Wonderful advice ... don't talk to the cops and make them break in the door.
Thanks. It was advice FROM a famous (in some circles) ex narc named Barry Cooper. :D

And everyone should heed the advice to NEVER EVER talk to a cop. That advice separate from Barry Cooper's door answering advice comes from a law professor, AND a cop

Law prof and cop agree: never ever ever ever ever ever ever talk to the cops about a crime, even if you're innocent - Boing Boing

I see by your sig that you are a cop. Look at mine :)

Last edited:

CdwJava

Yep, I've seen it before, and I think they are full of hooey. In this case, the OP is not a suspect in any crime, he is asking how he can avoid being bothered by the cops. Ignoring them is not going to stop them from coming by. In fact, it will likely only increase their responses until they determine she is no longer there. In fact, if they DO have a warrant for her arrest and that is the address they have for her, they can likely force entry if they have reason to believe she is there.

As it is, the best way to get them to stop coming around is to convince the cops she is no longer there and has not lived there. AND, that he is not actively concealing her.

- Carl

Then let them break the door down. Like I said, if they had a right to enter, they wouldn't knock. And yes, file a complaint if they continue to come knocking.

Then let them break the door down. Like I said, if they had a right to enter, they wouldn't knock. And yes, file a complaint if they continue to come knocking. If you open a door for a cop, they will find an excuse to enter. Best just sit and listen to them knock.

CdwJava

I would rather not be annoyed all the time. Best to just talk to them.

But, you are free to be annoyed. Hopefully the OP will simply circumvent the whole thing and talk to someone who can help with the situation. Oh, and if he makes a complaint, he will effectively be telling them what I previously advised, so if that is what he wants to do, sure! Everyone will be happy ... the officers will get the info they need to look elsewhere or at least not at the OP's home, and the OP will get the cops to stop knocking at his door. It's a win-win.

- Carl

CdwJava

In light of your recent update, I would still recommend you speak with someone in charge at the agency and explain the situation. Until you do that, you may have patrol officers, investigators, warrant details, and others, knocking at the door at all hours.

Speak with someone of rank if your agency is large enough - preferably a lieutenant or higher. But, a sergeant might do for a start.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">