• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spiderpup

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico

Hi! I recently found out that i have a warrant out for my arrest. Its because i ran a stop sign in a Portales, NM where i used to go to college. Unfortunately for me, my court date happened when i was out of town. My question is how do i get rid of this? It says something about $800 bond or surrey. What does that mean? I also once heard that if you pay your bond money you eventually get it back. Is that true? Thanks for the help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

that would be a bond or surety.
"A surety bond is a written promise under seal which commits its issuer (the "surety") to pay a named beneficiary, called the obligee, a sum up to a stipulated amount, but subject to the proviso that the obligation of the issuer will cease if certain specified conditions are met.

I also once heard that if you pay your bond money you eventually get it back. Is that true?
that would depend on if the courts carry the bond or if that particular court requires the use of a bondsman. Additionally, if any fees or fines are imposed, the money paid often goes towards that as well.

So, how to deal with it?

I presume you got a ticket and simply failed to pay it, yes?

well, you are pretty screwed for the most part for not taking care of the ticket. Since it would appear the situation is not the courts fault but all yours, I suspect you are simply going to have to go to court, turn yourself in and hope for the best. If you ignore the warrant, I suspect you will simply be arrested sometime you have contact with the police and they have a need to run your name through the records available to them.

are you still in New Mexico?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">