• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warrant for arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wayne-o

What is the name of your state? TN I had a friend (ex-friend) ask if he could go to my house and use computer while I was working. I gave him my key and he went brought my key back to me. The next day I get a call from my neighbor saying there was car at my house. He had taken the garage door opener out of car in the garage. He was asleep. It was no big deal, I just told him he should always let me know if he was going to be there. The next night, he came to house while I was there asleep and stole money from me. I heard the door closing, got up and saw his car driving off. I went to bed and realised the money was missing the next morning.

I texted him and told him he had 30 minutes to bring it back or I would call the police. He brought it back. Things have since gone sour and I am contemplating pressing charges. Would neighbors testimony, and couple of text messages where he acknowledged the theft be enough to get warrant for arrest?

It has been a little over a week since this happened.

outonbail

What is the name of your state? TN I had a friend (ex-friend) ask if he could go to my house and use computer while I was working. I gave him my key and he went brought my key back to me. The next day I get a call from my neighbor saying there was car at my house. He had taken the garage door opener out of car in the garage.
Who took the opener, this friend or your neighbor?
He was asleep.
Who was asleep and where were they sleeping?
It was no big deal, I just told him he should always let me know if he was going to be there. The next night, he came to house while I was there asleep and stole money from me. I heard the door closing, got up and saw his car driving off. I went to bed and realised the money was missing the next morning.
So it is this friend, the one who asked to use your computer, who returned to your home and gained entry with your garage door remote so he could steal from you?

I texted him and told him he had 30 minutes to bring it back or I would call the police. He brought it back. Things have since gone sour and I am contemplating pressing charges. Would neighbors testimony, and couple of text messages where he acknowledged the theft be enough to get warrant for arrest?

Probably not. Since you gave him permission to go to your house and use your computer. Then, when you discovered he went there again (and possibly went to sleep there?) You told him it was no big deal, just to let you know when he's going to be there. This is basically an open invitation to go to your home whenever he wishes. Frankly, if you knew at this point that he took your garage door remote without asking or telling you he did, you should have realized that this guy is a sneaky Pete. I would have invited him to the curb with a free ride off my boot!

But as far as having him arrested, I can't see any DA touching this. Your ex-friend will probably claim you lent him the money and he's already paid it beck. Plus he didn't force entry into your house because you gave him the OK to be there. Even if it was on the condition that he tell you first, he was still there with your blessing.

Count yourself lucky that you aren't out any money because this guy sounds like his plan was to burn you right from the beginning. In fact, if I were you I would do a more in depth search of my belongings and personal effects, such as legal papers, credit card receipts, blank checks, bank statements and any other items he could steal and/or use your identification from.

Did he actually use your computer? If so what did he use it for? Did he order something you will be stuck with paying for? Did he put a spy program in your computer hoping to return at a later date and gain things like your passwords and personal information? Do you pay bills and bank on line?

He may have done more damage than you are aware of. If so, then you may have a legitimate reason to have him arrested.

But if nothing else, you could always file for a restraining order to keep him from going near you or your property. Then if he does show up again, he is at the very least trespassing and in violation of the restraining order.

CdwJava

wayne-o said:

It sounds as if you made a civil arrangement with him to return the money. I doubt that a DA would file in this case. You can always call the police and report it, but don't expect any arrest. Also, he might just say that he did not steal anything, he only brought the money back because he was afraid you'd make a false report to the police about him ... remember, what you texted to him MIGHT be considered extortion! Asking for money or you will call the police can be a crime depending on your state's laws.

- Carl

wayne-o

Thanks for your replies. I had loaned this guy some money in addition to the money that he had stolen. Realising that he is not a "good guy" I just want to get my money back and continue on with my life. I was able to get him to sign a promissory note where I will at least be able to pursue civil action if he does not pay.

wayne-o

actually...he promised he would sign a promissory note...today he changed his telephone # and said he talked to the police and what i was doing was extortion. Wont be able to find out till tomorrow if it was for real or not. He gave me an officer name and telephone # to call. The # was a residence in a nearby city. I imagine he was gonna have a friend impersonate an officer.

My goal was to get the money he owed me back. It may be a lost cause but i figure I can go talk to the police and find out what options are... With my credit card receipt where I paid for phone and text message from him asking me too. And a canceled check where i wrote in the memo line loan for ricky might be enough to take him to small claims court.

This person happens to be in the country illegally. So when the police arrest someone in our town they automatically run him through immigration.

outonbail

actually...he promised he would sign a promissory note...
Did he tell you your check was in the mail as well?

today he changed his telephone # and said he talked to the police and what i was doing was extortion. Wont be able to find out till tomorrow if it was for real or not. He gave me an officer name and telephone # to call.
Maybe he's reading this thread?
The # was a residence in a nearby city. I imagine he was gonna have a friend impersonate an officer.
Considering how he thanked you for helping him, I'm surprised he has any friends left.

wayne-o

hahah... i dont think he has too many friends.....i know two other people that helped him and are considering legal actions

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">