• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant of Arrest for a Canadian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beastkiss

What is the name of your state? California

I currently live in Toronto, Canada. Two years ago, I live with my girlfriend in Los Angeles, California. Unfortunately, our relationship didn't work out and I moved back to Toronto, Canada.

However, my girlfriend reported to the local police that I did an alleged several harrasment and threat to her, thru my phone call from Toronto, Canada. These reports are completely lies.

Will I be arrested in the airport if I will go back to the US? I am planning to work in Chicago, Illinois in a few months. How can I check if I have an outstanding warrant of arrest? What are the statute of limitations for harrasment and threat?

I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Peter

seniorjudge

beastkiss said:
What is the name of your state? California

I currently live in Toronto, Canada. Two years ago, I live with my girlfriend in Los Angeles, California. Unfortunately, our relationship didn't work out and I moved back to Toronto, Canada.

However, my girlfriend reported to the local police that I did an alleged several harrasment and threat to her, thru my phone call from Toronto, Canada. These reports are completely lies.

Will I be arrested in the airport if I will go back to the US? I am planning to work in Chicago, Illinois in a few months. How can I check if I have an outstanding warrant of arrest? What are the statute of limitations for harrasment and threat?

I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Peter

Q: How can I check if I have an outstanding warrant of arrest?

A: Call the cops.

CdwJava

If you are alleged to have made threatening phone calls from Toronto to California, this is a misdemeanor. California is NOT going to extradite from Chicago to California for this offense. While it is possible (very slim, but possible) that a warrant has issued for the allegation, it is doubtful that the agency will pay for extradition from out of state simply for the crime of "annoying and harassing phone calls" pursuant to PC 653m.

- Carl

beastkiss

Additional Questions - Assault and Greencard

State: California

If my ex-girlfriend reported to the local police that I allegedly assaulted her while I was still in California, then will I be arrested in Chicago, Illinois when I arrived there from Toronto, Canada and extradited to California?

Again, I never assaulted her. She might be trying very hard to ruin my chances to come back in the USA after a sour relationship thru false allegations.

Will these allegations made by my ex-girlfriend impede my application for a US Permanent Resident years from now? I never have any criminal record in Canada and USA.

Thank you.

Peter

CdwJava

beastkiss said:
If my ex-girlfriend reported to the local police that I allegedly assaulted her while I was still in California, then will I be arrested in Chicago, Illinois when I arrived there from Toronto, Canada and extradited to California?
It depends on the specific charges. if it was a serious felony, then they just might.

Again, I never assaulted her. She might be trying very hard to ruin my chances to come back in the USA after a sour relationship thru false allegations.
You had better hope not. But, if you were out of the coujntry, and there was some proof to substantiate an alegation of a felony battery of some kind, then they just might issue a warrant for your arrest and extradition. But, to extradite from IL it would have to be some pretty heinous felony charges.

Will these allegations made by my ex-girlfriend impede my application for a US Permanent Resident years from now?
Without knowing the allegations - IF any have been made - it is impossible to say.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">