• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant for arrest question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VelascoJ

Colorado,

So an incident occurred between my father and a former friend back in may. After taking verbal abuse my father had confronted his former friend. They then struck my father in the head with a beer bottle and created a gash on his forhead. My father then retaliated and attacked the man punching him in the mouth causing cuts and bleeding. Drunk, the other man had driven to the hospital where he received treatment. He is now asking my father to pay for his hospital bill and has pressed charges. There is a warrant out for my fathers arrest and I would like to know what options, if any my father has in this matter. He did not receive any medical help that was recorded (my mother is a nurse and attended to him) but he does have witnesses that can confirm that the other man had struck him first with the beer bottle.

CdwJava

Your father's best option is to consult an attorney and arrange his surrender. If he has bail money set, he can surrender, get processed, and then released as quickly as possible.

Whether a case can be made for self defense or not will depend on the details. Chances are he can work out a plea deal for a lesser offense, but he still might be liable for medical bills through either restitution ordered by the court (if convicted) or via civil suit.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">