• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warrant for check fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krisraine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I used to live in NC. I wrote a check for $190.00 when I lived there. I came to Indiana to visit. I still have a bank account there and fully intended on returning, but I had a family event happen in Indiana. I am still in Indiana and want to return to NC when my family situation is resolved. This all happened in September. I had my mail transfered with the post office. I did not receive anything while in Indiana stating that I had a court date. With everything going on, I forgot about the check. My old roommate in NC informed me about a warrant for writing this check. She said the police came to her house. This is the first time I have ever been in trouble with the law.

Doesn't the court have to serve me with papers that I sign for in order to have a court date? The police said I had missed a court date. I would not have skipped a court date on purpose.

Further more I do have money to cover the check. Can the business drop the charges if I pay?

Am I going to have to return to NC and turn myself in?

I am also talking to a recruiter for the Army. Do you think he could help?

Thank you for your input!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

Doesn't the court have to serve me with papers that I sign for in order to have a court date? The police said I had missed a court date. I would not have skipped a court date on purpose.
No.

Further more I do have money to cover the check. Can the business drop the charges if I pay?
That will be up to the DA now that you have been charged.

Am I going to have to return to NC and turn myself in?
That would be the best course of action.

I am also talking to a recruiter for the Army. Do you think he could help?
Is he an attorney? If not, he can do nothing for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">