• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant in Different State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

docisme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My gf just found out via a job background check that she has a warrant in a different state (California) and we live in Arizona. The warrant is showing up in San Diego. Although she used to live there, the time period for the warrant is not the same time frame she lived there.

She called to try and get some information but they gave her slim to none. They won't even advise what the warrant is for and says she has to go all the way there to find out. Of course she doesn't want to do that for a few reasons, being arrested is one of them. She honestly doesn't have a clue what the warrant can be from.

What are her options legally? Does she have to go all the way to San Diego to get info? Is it possible that she will be arrested on the spot?

Antigone*

My gf just found out via a job background check that she has a warrant in a different state (California) and we live in Arizona. The warrant is showing up in San Diego. Although she used to live there, the time period for the warrant is not the same time frame she lived there.

She called to try and get some information but they gave her slim to none. They won't even advise what the warrant is for and says she has to go all the way there to find out. Of course she doesn't want to do that for a few reasons, being arrested is one of them. She honestly doesn't have a clue what the warrant can be from.

What are her options legally? Does she have to go all the way to San Diego to get info? Is it possible that she will be arrested on the spot?
She can retain a local attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

She could hire a criminal defense attorney in the SD area to check in to this...

docisme

So a search of the county sheriff's website reveals its a PC503-508 misdemeanor charge. Not knowing what that is I googled it and its embezzlement. The charge is from 4 years ago. Now that we know a little more info it feels like everything is worse :(

I am assuming our options are still the same? Get a local attorney and/or drive the 500 miles to face it? probably get arrested?

Antigone*

So a search of the county sheriff's website reveals its a PC503-508 misdemeanor charge. Not knowing what that is I googled it and its embezzlement. The charge is from 4 years ago. Now that we know a little more info it feels like everything is worse :(

I am assuming our options are still the same? Get a local attorney and/or drive the 500 miles to face it? probably get arrested?
Like we stated already. She can take some of that cash she may or may not have embezzeled and retain an attorney. In addition, she should not speak to anyone, including you of the crimes she may or may not have committed.

swalsh411

So you are saying she has no idea whatsoever what this could be about? In that case either they messed up or she is lying to you.

She is eventually going to have to face the music on this or it will dog her all her life.

And tell her in no uncertain terms that you don't want or need to know anything about what she might have done. Zero. She can spill her guys to her attorney.

Last edited:

Eekamouse

Oh, I imagine she knows exactly what this is about. Embezzlement is not something they're going to accidentally charge someone with.

davew128

Oh, I imagine she knows exactly what this is about. Embezzlement is not something they're going to accidentally charge someone with.
Wouldn't be the first time an internal accountant or bookkeeper in La Jolla or Rancho Santa Fe got busted for embezzling several hundred thousand dollars...

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
She won't have to go to San Diego to be arrested.

Whenever she gets stopped for a traffic violation and a license/warrant check is performed the warrant will show and she'll be arrested.

Will she be extradited? Well, that depends, but she will be arrested every time and held until the arresting agency can confirm that the originating agency won't come get her. If that happens at night or on the weekend she could sit in jail for a couple of days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">