• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant for Homicide

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thewests

What is the name of your state? Georgia

A cousin of mine was killed in a hit in run. We've heard rumors of who the
suspected person was. The police will not question this person. They are
trying to investigate someone in our family. What should we do? The police
came to the suspected family members house harassing them and even took
their car and had it checked without a warrant. Was this legal? Again,
what do we need to do?

Please Help,

THE_WEST_FAMILY

CdwJava

Rumors do not make good evidence. And honestly, you do not KNOW if the police have talked to him or not ... and they may not be talking to him because they know he wasn't involved. Since you are not privy to the investigation, you can't say with certainty what is or is not being done.

As for the car they took - did they do it with consent? That's just as lawful as with a warrant. If they asked to take and look at the car, and someone said they could, then they can. If they took it without a warrant, AND without consent or any other lawful reason (like towing it for expired plates), then any evidence found would be suppressed in court.

There must be some reason they suspect a family member. Until they are satisfied that this family member is not a suspect they will look at him/her.

You seem to want them to look at the rumored person like this, but not a person they apparently have some reason to believe might be the suspect. Let them do their job. And don't be surprised if nothing can be proven one way or the other.

Carl

T

thewests

Actually, We heard that the other person turned themselves in to the police but the police told the person to go home and don't say anything but like you said that was rumor as well. Their was no evidence found on the family members car (we know that from a close friend) but the police in my town haven't communicated this information back to us. We later found out that the police did have a warrant. The family member whose car they searched is like the average person, just doesn't know what their legal rights are. The police were harassing the family member with questions that they didn't know they didn't have to answer.

The only reason they suspect a family member is because they just want to close this case. Yes, these two would be together sometimes but their relatives, why wouldn't they be together. If you only knew the very small town that we lived in, then you would know what I were talking about but I can only say so much. I'm not trying to say that they should arrest the rumored person,all I'm saying is that the police need to do their job and do it with honesty. Just get the right person, family member or not.

Overall, I do appreciate your advise and it does make alot of sense.

Thanks,
The West Family

CdwJava

thewests said:
The only reason they suspect a family member is because they just want to close this case.
Of course they want to close it. But, they can only go where the evidence leads. Maybe they were following another "rumor" that had the family member as a suspect.

Since you are not on the inside of the investigation, you really cannot say who they are looking at or why they might be looking at the family member.

If you only knew the very small town that we lived in, then you would know what I were talking about but I can only say so much.
I live and work in a small town in a small county. I know what you're talking about. And the rumors fly fast and furious, and EVERYONE thinks they KNOW who did what ... when in reality, they don't. And if they do, they really need to tell someone (the police) who can act on it. But too often we get anonymous information which is as worthless as the air they are printed on. You can't get warrants on an anonymous tip, you can't use them as evidence, and they give you nothing but another rumor to look at.

I'm not trying to say that they should arrest the rumored person,all I'm saying is that the police need to do their job and do it with honesty. Just get the right person, family member or not.
And how do you know they are not doing that? It sounds to me that if they were able to find no evidence on the possible suspect vehicle that it may slow things down for that family member for a while.

But again, we can only follow where the leads take us. If they all point in one direction, that's where we look.

I hope they find the killer - whoever he/she might be.

Carl

T

thewests

Carl,

You are absolutely right. I guess when you've always heard of bad cops (in my town), it tends to stick in your mind. Living in a small, racist town kinda makes you scared because you don't know who you should or should not trust. So, I've decided to trust in God because He surely won't let me down regardless of any situation or outcome. He's always there not to necessarily get you out of a situation but he'll be there to guide you through that particular situation. Thanks for all your help.

The West Family

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">