• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant Issued for Missed Court Date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calidreamin

What is the name of your state? IL

My buddy is in trouble. He is on probation and had not completed the last 6 of his 30 hours of community service. He was to appear before the judge to explain. He missed the court date and now there is a warrant for his arrest. He spoke with his probation officer who told him too surrender and he may be able to get an I-bond. He has complied with every other regulation (paid fines, never missed a probation meeting, tested negative for each drop and completed all but 6 of the required community service hours). My question is, this was almost 3 weeks ago and no one has come to get him. What is the likelihood the sheriff will come to his home to pick him up? This is his first infraction since being on probation. Is he likely to also have a shot at staying free once he surrenders and goes before the judge? Again, the court date was to explain about community service and why he hadn't completed the required hours.

Last edited:

Son of Slam

calidreamin said:
What is the name of your state? IL

My buddy is in trouble. He is on probation and had not completed the last 6 of his 30 hours of community service. He was to appear before the judge to explain. He missed the court date and now there is a warrant for his arrest. He spoke with his probation officer who told him too surrender and he may be able to get an I-bond. He has complied with every other regulation (paid fines, never missed a probation meeting, tested negative for each drop and completed all but 6 of the required community service hours). My question is, this was almost 3 weeks ago and no one has come to get him. What is the likelihood the sheriff will come to his home to pick him up? This is his first infraction since being on probation. Is he likely to also have a shot at staying free once he surrenders and goes before the judge? Again, the court date was to explain about community service and why he hadn't completed the required hours.

Your buddy is in trouble. He is on probation and had not completed the last 6 of his 30 hours of community service. He was to appear before the judge to explain. He missed the court date and now there is a warrant for his arrest. He spoke with his probation officer who told him too surrender and he may be able to get an I-bond. He has complied with every other regulation (paid fines, never missed a probation meeting, tested negative for each drop and completed all but 6 of the required community service hours). Almost 3 weeks have passed and no one has come to get him.There is not much likelihood the sheriff will come to his home to pick him up, unless you live in Mayberry RFD. Once he surrenders he will sit in jail untill he goes before the judge. Then he has to explain about community service and why he hadn't completed the required hours.

calidreamin

Thanks for the response. Couple more questions. Will he still be on probation or does bench warrant nullify the original sentence (2 years probation)? Also, his PO told him to show up 1st thing in the morning so he can see the judge that day. Is it likely that they will hold him or put him in jail for 6 hours of community service?? Seems extreme to me, but I understand the law is the law. Please offer any other info or advice beyond what I asked.

grasmicc

His parole officer is being pretty nice to him and giving him some good advice.

Look, you can't just ignore a f'ing warrant. This guy was stupid enough to ditch his community service, and ditch court... what in the hell is wrong with him?

calidreamin

He didn't ditch community service, nor the court date. He didn't find out about the court date until after the fact. He didn't complete the community service because of work. And yes, his probation officer is being nice and helpful. He plans to turn himself in, which is why I asked about what he has to look forward to. Thanks for your "input" grassmic.

essej

Jail For Missed Community Service

State of GEorgia

Don't know if this helps but I spent a week in jail for failure to complete community service even though my PO knew I was not going to be there. Your PO holds a lot of weight with the court. What they say goes pretty much. Although don't be surprised when they tell you one thing and do another. They may just be being nice to get him to turn himself in. Some of these low paid PO's take their job as if they were GOD. THey will lie to u to get u to turn yourself in. GOOD LUCK!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">