• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant issued w

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JNDGTD44

Try again, warrant issued wrongfully

Back in January 2015 I had court for simple assault. I went to court plead guilty and was sentence to 2 years good behavior and anger management. There was no time period for the anger management courses. So I set to find a job so that I would be able to afford the classes as the prosecutor told me I could do an anger management evaluation or do classes but that I would probably end up doing the evaluation and then classes so it would be more financially sound to just take the classes and not pay for the evaluation on top of it. Appx 60 days later I received a letter stating that the prosecutor was requesting that I be brought back to court for failure to comply with a court order. I contacted him the day I received the paper work and asked why I was not in compliance. He stated that I hadn't done my anger management yet. I told him that he needed to relook at the original paperwork from court and that there was NO time frame other then before my good behavior ended. He stated that he apologized and that I was correct and it was a mistake on his part and he would take care of it. I asked if I needed to go to court and he said no that there would be no court hearing because it was an error on his part and I was all set as long as I had the classes done by January 2017. Tonight I was at work and had to call the police for unruly people in the store and in the parkinglot ...of course they asked my name and then the officer came back and said we are going to arrest these people but when we are done we have to come back and get you, I said what for and he said you have a bench warrant for failure to appear. I said for what? Needless to say the court hearing was never canceled aND I've been walking around with a warrant that came out January 2016. Now I just got this job two months ago and was just promoted to Manager not even a week ago. It literally took this entire time to be hired somewhere because no one wanted to hire me because of the charge and they would tell me this. So I lost wages and have lost all credibility with my staff not to mention I had to borrow 250 to get out and go back to work since I was the Manger on duty and probably Wil lose my promotion because of what happened. My question is, don't they normally send some type of letter stating you have a warrant? I mean how could I fix anything if I had no idea any warrant was issued. I'm so glad that it didn't happen when I was with my kids aND them have to witness me being arrested. I wasn't mad at the officer because he just did his job but I'm highly irritated that I was issued a warrant with no warning and no notification, it's embarrassing to say the least and very frustrating. Also do I get the 250 back when I go to court ? I paid an additional 40 for the bail commissioner but I'm just so frustrated with what happened. What do I do

CdwJava

My question is, don't they normally send some type of letter stating you have a warrant?
Nope. There is no legal requirement to make any such notification.

Also do I get the 250 back when I go to court ? I paid an additional 40 for the bail commissioner but I'm just so frustrated with what happened. What do I do
You should receive your bail amount back when you go to court. I suspect the amount you paid to the bail commissioner is gone, but, then your system is different than ours is so I am not entirely sure.

FlyingRon

New Hampshire is unique in the unconstitutional bail commissioner fee. You'll never get the $40 back. You had the option to wait to be arraigned in court. The state considers the commissioner's fee to be a not-quite unconstitutional convenience to you.

JNDGTD44

What to do about the fact that they should not have issued a warrant and now my job is on the line because of it. It was embarassing to top it off, I lost wages, and now my big boss doesn't think I should be at the job... it's basically making my life hell. I know I don't get the 40 back for the bail commissioner, wasn't worried so much about that.

FlyingRon

What to do about the fact that they should not have issued a warrant and now my job is on the line because of it. It was embarassing to top it off, I lost wages, and now my big boss doesn't think I should be at the job... it's basically making my life hell. I know I don't get the 40 back for the bail commissioner, wasn't worried so much about that.
You're not getting any compensation or even an apology for the fact you had a warrant. Despite what you were told, it was incumbent on you to appear or verify the court appearance was actually cancelled.

CdwJava

I have paperwork to prove it was canceled. And that the court hearing was scheduled in error.
Then that should mean that there is no pending prosecution and it should be no great difficulty explaining to your employer that this was a huge misunderstanding.

You appear to have no one to sue in this, so if that's your hope, you will be disappointed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">