+ Reply to Thread
    x30084 Guest

Question warrant on license plate

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I was on my way to work and almost there when I passed a cop who was driving alongside me. He followed me into the parking lot, waited for me to get
    out and then stopped me right when I was almost at the front door. He asked me if I knew a "John Doe" and I said yes. He then told me that since I had passed him up he ran my plate and it came up with a warrant for John Doe. He asked me if I knew I had a warrant on my license plate for this person and I said no. I told him that he had been stopped in my car for running a red light about a year ago and was arrested since he had a previous warrant. He was released that same night but never showed up for his court date. The officer then told me that I should have this taken care of and to call the DMV to have them take the warrant off my license plate. I told him ok and thank-you for letting me know.

I have never heard of this before and my question is:

Why is there a warrant on my plate for someone that is not a registered owner of the car and is this normal?

And how do I take care of this at the DMV?
    JETX is offline Senior Member
    "Why is there a warrant on my plate for someone that is not a registered owner of the car and is this normal?"
    *** There is no such thing as a 'warrant on a plate'. What is far more likely is that your license plate (as the vehicle he was driving) was entered into the computer as one to be looking for, as the driver MAY have an outstanding warrant.

"And how do I take care of this at the DMV?"
    *** Of course you can advise the police where your friend is and the 'watch' for on the license plate will be ended upon his arrest.
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    I've got steak on my plate.
    mrspotatohead Guest
    Similar thing happened to me, let me make sure I understand you.

You let someone drive your car, they get a ticket and never pay it. Because of the type of ticket there is a warrant issued for you. (you are the registered owner). The othere folks are right. Warrants are issued for people not license plates, so it sounds like your vehicle,plates,is of interest.