• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warrant in michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjlamb

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I currently have a warrant out for me in michigan because I initiated a court hearing in family court for visitation of children and by the time i recieved the court date, i had moved to nevada which the court was aware of and the date had already passed. My question is , will the warrant be valid in ohio? will they arrest me and take me to michigan for a bench warrant?

The answer of whether the warrant will be valid in Ohio is yes, it's called extradition. Article IV of the U.S. Constitution refeers to Interstate Relations. Article IV, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution states that "A person charged in any state with treason, felony, or other crime, who shall flee from justice, and be found in another State, shall, on the demand of the executive authorityof the State from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the State having jurisdiction of the crime." This clause provides for the extradition of fugitives. Congress has made the governor of the state to which the fugitives have fled responsible for returning them. Although the U.S. Supreme Court softened the meaning of the extradition provision by ruling that the governor is not required to return a fugitive to another state. Although extradition is routine in the vast majority of cases, occasionally a governor will refuse. An example of this is when a Michigan governor once refused to return a fugitive to Arkansas because, the governor said that prison conditions in Arkansas were inhumane. Arkansas officials could do nothing about the governor's decsion. Although sometime within the last 15-20 years, Congress has acted to close the extradition loophole by making it a federal crime to flee from one state to another in order to avoid prosecution for a felony. So your warrant from the state of Michigan is valid in Ohio. Your only hope is that the Ohio governor has some problem with extraditing you back to Michigan, which is very unlikely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">