• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant for Money given as a gift??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

idontowe

What is the name of your state? New York

About 3 years ago I was going through a hard time with money when I met a friend online who offered to help me out. She would take money out of her account and ask me for my checking account information and then run over to my bank and enter the money into my account. She always said it was a gift to help me out. When I started talking to her online I gave a fake name because I don’t trust people I meet on the Internet. Now, 3 years later she has gotten in contact with me and said that she is going to have me arrested because I never paid her back the money and because I gave her a fake name years ago. She told me I was going to go to jail for a long long time. She said she talked to a detective at the police dept about all of this. I asked her what police dept so that I could talk to them also about all of this and she said she could not give me the name. She also told me that it takes about 3 weeks for a warrant to be issued. That she has a lawyer and that her lawyer is in connect with the police and also told her to go to my house and get in contact with me to pay her back. I would think that this is more of a civil matter. But she said I can be arrested and I don’t know what for. Could I be arrested because she gave me this as a gift and I never used my real name with her. I also think that she is coming around asking for the money now 3 years later because I just found out that she is dating one of my ex boyfriends that ended on a bad note and I think he is fueling the fire in all of this. Because he is the one who is telling me that I will go to jail and that he is trying to get in touch with all my past relationships and for them to write out bad things about my character. I don’t know what to do and keep thinking that the police are going to come knocking on my door and arrest me over all of this.

CdwJava

Wait ... hold on ... you say you didn't trust people you met online, yet you gave YOUR bank account information to a total stranger online?!? Now THAT's trusting!

And depending on the circumstances, yes, you COULD be arrested. I am also sure that there is more to this story. You won't give her your name, yet she had your bank account info and now your phone number ... something ain't right in this tale.

My guess is that you are being charged with some kind of fraud ... that is, IF you are being charged with anything at all. This person could be as full of malarkey as you were. And even if she is on the up-and-up, the statute of limitations has probably passed ... maybe.

But, you won't know until the cops come knocking at your door ... if they do.

Carl

M

meerkat3232

I don't trust you but here's my bank account #'s

Yeah, what Carl said, or maybe your online friend is a gangster or drugee trying to launder her dirty money through you.

n_and

Statute of limitations is 6 years in NY for verbal agreements.

I see nothing in your post that could get you arrested. This is a civil matter. She is blowing smoke up your butt. SHE put money into YOUR bank account. She can claim you gave her a fake name all she wants - fact remains she had your bank account number, which would provide her with your real name. If she wants the money back, she needs to file for it in a court of law, in YOUR county.

I agree there is more to this story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">