• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant or no warrant? I have no idea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maneki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm in Colorado, this supposedly happened in Florida

I apologize if this question seems confusing but honestly I'm really confused by the whole thing. I'll start with anything I think might be relevant. I'm sorry if it isn't.

Several months ago (I think in May) my mom, who lived in Maine, says she got a call from a 1-800 number looking for me saying they were trying to serve me. When I looked up the number that had called her all reports by other people were saying it was a scam so I didn't do anything with it. Now a few weeks ago I find out that supposedly someone called my step-mom in Florida looking for me. When I asked her for the phone number (thinking maybe it's related to the call my mom had received) she said that a couple police officers also went to her house with a warrant for me. I have no idea what this would be for. The even weirder thing, in my opinion, is that I've never lived in Florida and haven't lived with my step-mom in about 21 years, and when I did live with her it was in Texas. Also they were supposedly looking for me under my married name (not my name currently, previous marriage). When I lived with my step-mom 21 years ago I was not yet married. She is now not answering my messages so I can't get any more info from her. I did go to the state/county websites for every place I've ever lived and did an active warrant search and nothing came up at all, anywhere.

I haven't done anything illegal that I'm aware of, seriously. I'm completely at a loss as to what this is all regarding. I do have some debts so I can believe debt collectors may have called her but would police officers have warrants for outstanding debts? I'm kind of freaking out and been searching online for information but I'm not finding much that appears to apply. I tried calling the sheriffs office near where I think my step-mom lives (I haven't really had contact with her in years, I only found out she's in Florida through my half-sister, but even she doesn't know what town she's in) and they said they can't give out information over the phone. I live across the country, obviously I can't just pop on in there to ask.

There's a whole lot of other stupid family stuff going on with that side of the family right now so I can also believe she's making this up to mess with me, but I don't want to risk it. Ya know? So I guess what I'm asking is... how can I find out if there is an active warrant out for me? Like I said I checked all the state/county sites for everywhere I lived, is that sufficient? Would police go with a warrant to collect a debt? Would police go without a warrant to collect a debt? (She may have been confused about the warrant part of it, who know?) I'm not exactly hiding where I am... I have an active online presence, my car is registered in my name, I am in college and receiving federal student aid, I'm on medicaid, etc... I don't know why anyone would be looking for me in a state where I've never lived. I'm just so confused.

Last edited:

maneki

I have seen that, thank you. Is it possible to get the info if you don't have a case number? I don't have any cases out there for myself, as far as I'm aware. Are the online warrant searches through the state and county sites not accurate? And what if you don't know the county where it might be (such as in the case of my step-mom in Florida, I have no idea what county she was in)?

quincy

The article mentioned doing a public records search on your name, having the police in your area do a search for you, or contacting an attorney.

There will not be a warrant issued for an outstanding debt.

It could be that you share a name with someone who is wanted by the police.

I am out of ideas.

Last edited:

maneki

I've considered the possibility of someone with the same name being the issue. My married name was a combination of two very common names and it already resulted in my drivers license being suspended for something I didn't do (which was a pain to get fixed, she also had my same birth day, so weird). But if it was someone with the same name then shouldn't the warrant still show up? I'm starting to really think there isn't one out there but I just want to be sure. Obviously if there was I'd want to get it cleared up ASAP. Would police go to serve a summons or something? Would there even be a summons over debts?

I tried calling the local police station already and they said they'd only be able to see local warrants, which this doesn't sound like it would be. And sadly I lack the money for an attorney. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">