• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant for P.U. in AZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddepker

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I have a warrant out for a Public Urination in Tempe, Arizona from 2003. I have been told I have to pay the bond of $150 and go before a judge at a date the court sets. The problem is I live in Texas now and will most likely not be able to make it out to Arizona anytime soon. What are my options? Can a lawyer take care of it without me having to fly out to Arizona?

Also, if I pay the bond and go before the judge what are the possible actions he/she may take against me?

If I just let the warrant sit and never go out to Arizona what may happen?

outonbail

ddepker said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona

I have a warrant out for a Public Urination in Tempe, Arizona from 2003. I have been told I have to pay the bond of $150 and go before a judge at a date the court sets. The problem is I live in Texas now and will most likely not be able to make it out to Arizona anytime soon. What are my options? Can a lawyer take care of it without me having to fly out to Arizona?

Also, if I pay the bond and go before the judge what are the possible actions he/she may take against me?

If I just let the warrant sit and never go out to Arizona what may happen?
This is a very serious offense and the minimum penalty the perpetrator will receive is ten lashes on his pee-pee. However there is a “Public Nuisance” enhancement that applies when the offense has gone to warrant. This is basically a standard multiplier of three, for each year the warrant has gone unanswered.
So time is of the essence here! By my calculations, your in for roughly fifty painful slaps!
The first ten are administered forthwith at the time of sentencing, but you can elect to have the balanced served on weekends. Check with the clerk, for the weekend service,,,,,
You can hire an attorney to appear for you, but you’ll have to find one who will stand in for the first ten swings, which is often difficult, if not impossible to arrange from out of state. Try to Google this information using the search term, “Whipping Peter to pay Paul” and see what turns up.

BTW, I hear there is now a device which is a spin off of the “Denver Boot” contraption used when you fail to pay parking tickets. It’s being dubbed the “Chicago Shorts” and if your found to be in P.U. violation again, a “Peter Maid”, can lock one on and your basically screwed until you pay the fines to have it removed! (Or in this case, you will not be until the penalty is paid!)

albatross

I dont think this really warrants an attorney. If you can afford an attorney, then you can afford a flight back to Arizona for the court date. I would just call the court and tell them your situation and that you will pay the bond, but is there any way you can get the required appearance before the court squashed or deferred or something. Forget Google. Call the court.

fairisfair

outonbail said:
This is a very serious offense and the minimum penalty the perpetrator will receive is ten lashes on his pee-pee. However there is a “Public Nuisance” enhancement that applies when the offense has gone to warrant. This is basically a standard multiplier of three, for each year the warrant has gone unanswered.
So time is of the essence here! By my calculations, your in for roughly fifty painful slaps!
The first ten are administered forthwith at the time of sentencing, but you can elect to have the balanced served on weekends. Check with the clerk, for the weekend service,,,,,
You can hire an attorney to appear for you, but you’ll have to find one who will stand in for the first ten swings, which is often difficult, if not impossible to arrange from out of state. Try to Google this information using the search term, “Whipping Peter to pay Paul” and see what turns up.

BTW, I hear there is now a device which is a spin off of the “Denver Boot” contraption used when you fail to pay parking tickets. It’s being dubbed the “Chicago Shorts” and if your found to be in P.U. violation again, a “Peter Maid”, can lock one on and your basically screwed until you pay the fines to have it removed! (Or in this case, you will not be until the penalty is paid!)
OMG, outonbail, that was the best response I could have imagined. LMAO

ddepker

albatross said:
I dont think this really warrants an attorney. If you can afford an attorney, then you can afford a flight back to Arizona for the court date. I would just call the court and tell them your situation and that you will pay the bond, but is there any way you can get the required appearance before the court squashed or deferred or something. Forget Google. Call the court.
Thanks for the reply. I called them and tried to get around having to appear in court, but they said I had to be there. I figured it would be cheaper to just fly back and take care of it rather than get an attorney. I was just worried about what the judge may make me do when I go back. I am guessing it will be another fine or something, would it be anything worse than that? I don't want to have to spend time in tent city or jail or anything (although I wouldn't think they would be that drastic), but then again I have no idea what the penalties are for having a warrant out for 2-3 years.

albatross

All my replies are based on my own criminal history, which spans 20-years+. I have done juvenile time, jail time, and a lot of prison time, and have learned a lot about how the system REALLY works first hand and through other criminals I have known.
I can tell you that the courts dont like it if you KNEW you had to appear in court and then skipped it. But if this is the ONLY offense you have had in many years(you took a piss! Big deal!), they MAY give you an additional fine, or perhaps make it a deferred sentence type of thing(I dont know what they call it in Arizona. I lived in Bullhead City a little while, but did all my crime and time in Oklahoma and juvenile in New York).
I skipped a court date for "eluding a police officer" and "open container" before, and all that happened to me was to be given a lengthier deferred sentence. Went from 90 days to 180 days.
Jail time? No way. Not for your crime.
Just be sure to tell the judge you are now living in Texas and you got a job and/or family there. They have a lot of worse cases to deal with than yours, I guarantee it, including skipped court dates for worse offenses.
Dont even worry about it. just go there, look presentable, speak clearly, succinctly, and apologetically, and everything will work out A-OK.

ddepker

Thanks a lot albatross, I didn't think it would be a big deal, but I was thinking the worst since I haven't had to deal much with the court system.

albatross

You will be fine. Just dont try and defend yourself to the judge. An apologetic attitude will get you back to Texas in no time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">