• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warrant/passport question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ted1331

What is the name of your state? Florida

Will try to be brief. Had lived in Florida for a short time. Was arrested on a misdemeanor and sentenced to probation. Thought I had met all requirements and moved out of state. Turns out I'd failed to fully pay fines. Probation was terminated and a warrant was issued for my arrest. Again, I didn't learn of this until after I had left the state.

Problem is, I'm scheduled to travel out of the country for work in about 6 weeks and need to get my passport renewed. I was wondering if an outstanding warrant in a case such as this would prevent my passport application from being granted. I am assuming it would (It should, lol) but I wasn't sure.

I plan on consulting an attorney and resolving this matter, I was just curious about the passport. Also, would it matter what state I applied for the passport in?

Thanks for the help.

pezstar

For the record... no one here is stupid enough to believe that you plan to contact an attorney to take care of this when you want to know what state to apply for a passport in to have the best chance of not getting caught.

Passports are not issued by states. They are issued by the federal govt. It doesn't matter what state you're in. Also, if you're leaving the country in 6 weeks and haven't started your passport paperwork yet, I suggest you get crackin.

ted1331

Re: passport

I do plan on consulting an attorney, but I don't want to get tied up with legal matters in the next 6-8 weeks. If possible, I'd like to complete my job-related responsibilities first.

Anyway, I'm not looking to get caught up in arguing back and forth with anybody. I simply was wondering if having an outstanding warrant on a misdemeanor would prevent a passport from being issued.

I appreciate any answer somebody could give me on that particular question.

racer72

If the warrant is in the NCIC database, forget about renewing your passport. Of course, you won't know till you try. And the local passport office near me has an 8 to 10 week waiting period for renewals, you are really pushing it if you want to renew.

ted1331

Thanks

Apparently, you can request a rushed renewal. Costs more money, but only takes 2 weeks. That's what I was planning on.

I appreciate your response. I did some research and it seemed like the law enforcement agency would have to specifically enter my information in order to block the renewal? I have no idea if they just automatically put everybody in, or if they put in who they see fit.

I suppose it's better to just try to resolve it beforehand, rather than put in my name, have a "hit" show up on their database, and have police officers come to my house.

Actually, that leads me to another question. Would I simply be rejected for the passport? Or would I show up as a "hit" on the database and be arrested/extradited?

Anyway, thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

For the record, pezstar, I'm searching for an attorney in Florida now...

G4-450

Hi

From what i understand, you can get a passport whenever you like., the passport agency can never refuse you a passport as long as you meet the criteria. ( citizenship, birth certificate, older passport or just basically I.D.)

It is not the passport agency's job to check your background, but the authorities responsibility to put information on your Passport number so that the State Department or foreign Authorities can stop you at a airport, that is if they check your passport and see if you have any warrants., and even then it is questionable to what level of the crime.

The F.B.I. says that many criminals come and go like this every day., some people who are stopped are also not criminals and just have there records crossed.

You have to be a serious criminal to have INTER-POLE look for you though.

Does anyone know why a Judge made Michael Jackson hand over his passport in court?

Was it because he had the right to one and the judge wanted to make sure he did not split?

Also, i am curious to what kind of information our passports carry and if doing a online search shows background history like it at all because in the U.K. some people get stopped at airports for silly things that show up on there computers.

I have posted several places asking which online background checking service is best for various reasons and people, i still had no luck deciding on any since they charge a basic fee for just useless information and also a extra fee for what people do these searches for in the first place like warrants or crossed records etc..

Last edited:

Curt581

G4-450 said:
You have to be a serious criminal to have INTERPOLE look for you though.
It's INTERPOL, not "INTERPOLE"... for INTERNATIONAL POLICE.
Does anyone know why a Judge made Micheal Jackson hand over his passport in court?

Was it because he had the right to split the U.S. and never come back?
He did NOT have the "right" to leave the country. He was under the terms and conditions of bail, and therefore a flight risk.

To answer ted1331's question:

Why don't you just pay the fine you owe, and be done with it...?

Or is that too simple?

:confused:

G4-450

Curt581 said:
It's INTERPOL, not "INTERPOLE"... for INTERNATIONAL POLICE.

He did NOT have the "right" to leave the country. He was under the terms and conditions of bail, and therefore a flight risk.

To answer ted1331's question:

Why don't you just pay the fine you owe, and be done with it...?

Or is that too simple?

:confused:
I had no idea Jackson was allready under terms of Bail, i thought he was innocent, i mean based on the case :).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">