• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warrant for petty theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J-Mo

What is the name of your state?California,I was arrested for petty theft and did not appear.I was 18 when this happened and i have a prior conviction of petty theft but was a minorwhen the first conviction happened.Waht should i do and what am i looking at when i go to court for the warrant.

HomeGuru

J-Mo said:
What is the name of your state?California,I was arrested for petty theft and did not appear.I was 18 when this happened and i have a prior conviction of petty theft but was a minorwhen the first conviction happened.Waht should i do and what am i looking at when i go to court for the warrant.

**A: practice begging for mercy now, so you will be ready when the time comes.

Happy Trails

J-Mo said:
Petty theft can be punishable by a fine of up to $400 or by imprisonment in County jail for up to 6 months, or both.

Failure to appear
From California statutes:
1214.1. (a) In addition to any other penalty in infraction, misdemeanor, or felony cases, the court may impose a civil assessment of up to two hundred fifty dollars ($250) against any defendant who fails, after notice and without good cause, to appear in court for any proceeding authorized by law or who fails to pay all or any portion of a fine ordered by the court.
(b) The assessment shall not become effective until at least 10 calendar days after the court mails a warning notice to the defendant by first-class mail to the address shown on the notice to appear or to the defendant's last known address. If the defendant appears within the time specified in the notice and shows good cause for the failure to appear or for the failure to pay a fine, the court shall vacate the assessment.
(c) If a civil assessment is imposed under this section, no bench warrant or warrant of arrest shall be issued with respect to the failure to appear at the proceeding for which the assessment is imposed or the failure to pay the fine. An outstanding, unserved bench warrant or warrant of arrest for a failure to appear or for a failure to pay a fine shall be recalled prior to the subsequent imposition of a civil assessment.
(d) The assessment imposed under subdivision (a) shall be subject to the due process requirements governing defense and collection of civil money judgments generally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">